Adam Kennedy is making a comeback

Dec 11, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Adam Kennedy is going to attempt a comeback at age 38, according to Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors.

Kennedy sat out this year despite hitting .262 with a decent .702 OPS in 86 games for the Dodgers in 2012. Adams reports that he’ll work out for teams next month in the hopes of landing a bench gig.

He can’t play shortstop, so a true utility man role is out of the question, but Kennedy has experience at third base and first base in addition to spending most of his career at second base.

Kennedy is probably my least-favorite player of all time because of what he did to the Twins on October 13, 2002. So, you know, good luck or whatever. (Jerk.)

1. spudchukar - Dec 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM

This is what happens when Scott Kazmir signs a $22 mil contract. First Mulder, then Kennedy. Hey metalhead here are your new signees.

• metalhead65 - Dec 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM

sadly this will probably happen but not this week, right before spring training walt will announce that he has signed 2 quality vets to improve the bench and pitching depth. the only plus is that dusty will not be here to play them everyday.

• spudchukar - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I hear Mitchell Boggs is available.

• metalhead65 - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

don’t worry uncle walt has the list of all breathing ex-cardinals by his phone ready to call and offer a above market contract or at least a try out.

2. tfbuckfutter - Dec 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I always felt like he didn’t get enough praise for his grit because of David Eckstein.

Imagine….being overshadowed….by David Eckstein.

3. tfbuckfutter - Dec 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

And yeah, you should be mad at Kennedy for that.

You give up 3 HRs in 1 game to Adam Kennedy and you deserve to win only 2 playoff games in the ensuing decade.

4. gibbyfan - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Can he still play second? –If so hope the Cards give him a shot at coming home.

• spudchukar - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Gibby, I usually enjoy your comments, but are you sober?

• gibbyfan - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Well, it’s like this Spud, as you get older nostalga starts to overtake logic. That’s one of the reasons why I am probably the only guy on here that loves Mc Carver as an announcer–love those stories from the guy that actually caught two of the greatest pitchers in Cardinal history. Hell, I was even hoping they would bring back Rasmus just because he came up in our system. And even though I know it was right to let Albert walk, to me it was an irreparable blow to Cardinal nation—-even though it worked out well……….so from time to time, I know my thinking gets a bit clouded.

• spudchukar - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM

OK, ok, make me feel bad, but not too bad cause I am retired and I have to admit, I have an extreme bias against the Kennedy clan, (father and uncle) who did everything in their power to inhibit my signing and advancement in the Cards organization.

5. dantheman3323 - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I guess paying slow pitch softball on Wednesday nights with your buddies gets pretty tiring huh Adam? Lol good luck! hope you get a legit chance to make a roster

6. pisano - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

No offense Adam, but you’d be better off going surfing with Barry Zito. I’m just sayin.

7. nsstlfan - Dec 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Gibbyfan they tried that before. They either released him or traded him from that homecoming

8. cohnjusack - Dec 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Adam Kennedy is one of my favorite players of all time for what occured on March 23rd, 2000

March 23, 2000: [Jim Edmonds] Traded by the Anaheim Angels to the St. Louis Cardinals for Kent Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)