Dec 11, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
Houston picked up some pitching help, getting right-hander Anthony Bass from San Diego for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Bass had a 4.08 ERA in 187 innings for the Padres, making 18 starts and 57 relief appearances, but he’s gotten progressively worse following a very strong 2011 debut with shoulder problems perhaps being to blame.
Still, as a 25-year-old with good fastball velocity and some decent numbers he’s a worthwhile pickup for an Astros team that’s certainly always in need of useful arms.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42