Dec 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Barry Zito is a free agent for the first time since 2007 after getting a $7 million buyout from the Giants to officially end his seven-year, $126 million contract. He’s also 36 years old and coming off a 5.74 ERA, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Zito definitely plans to continue pitching.
However, at the moment he’s “not actively looking for a major league job” because … well, he’s busy surfing in Hawaii. “Off the Maui coastline” to be exact.
Baggarly notes that it’s possible Zito could take 2014 off “to reboot” and then attempt a comeback in 2015, but those would be some pretty long odds considering he’s teetering on the edge of not being a big league-caliber pitcher as is.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17