Dec 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Barry Zito is a free agent for the first time since 2007 after getting a $7 million buyout from the Giants to officially end his seven-year, $126 million contract. He’s also 36 years old and coming off a 5.74 ERA, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Zito definitely plans to continue pitching.
However, at the moment he’s “not actively looking for a major league job” because … well, he’s busy surfing in Hawaii. “Off the Maui coastline” to be exact.
Baggarly notes that it’s possible Zito could take 2014 off “to reboot” and then attempt a comeback in 2015, but those would be some pretty long odds considering he’s teetering on the edge of not being a big league-caliber pitcher as is.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (121)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)