Dec 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Barry Zito is a free agent for the first time since 2007 after getting a $7 million buyout from the Giants to officially end his seven-year, $126 million contract. He’s also 36 years old and coming off a 5.74 ERA, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Zito definitely plans to continue pitching.
However, at the moment he’s “not actively looking for a major league job” because … well, he’s busy surfing in Hawaii. “Off the Maui coastline” to be exact.
Baggarly notes that it’s possible Zito could take 2014 off “to reboot” and then attempt a comeback in 2015, but those would be some pretty long odds considering he’s teetering on the edge of not being a big league-caliber pitcher as is.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)