Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Mariners took two first baseman off the board earlier today by agreeing to a deal with Corey Hart and acquiring Logan Morrison from the Marlins. Could Mets’ first baseman Ike Davis be the next domino to fall?
While nothing appears to be imminent, Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio reports that the Brewers, Rays, and Pirates are all in the mix to acquire Davis. Adam Rubin of ESPN New York had a similar report earlier this afternoon. The Mets are said to be seeking a pitching prospect in return, with multiple reports stating that the Brewers turned down a swap involving right-hander Tyler Thornburg. It’s worth noting that the Brewers, Rays and Pirates have all been mentioned as possible landing spots for free agent first baseman James Loney, so something will have to give soon.
The Mets appear ready to turn the page on Davis after he batted just .205/.326/.334 with nine home runs and 33 RBI over 103 games this past season. MLB Trade Rumors projects him to make $3.5 million in arbitration, so clearing his salary could allow the Mets to make other moves. Lucas Duda is expected to take over full-time at first base in 2014.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)