Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Mariners took two first baseman off the board earlier today by agreeing to a deal with Corey Hart and acquiring Logan Morrison from the Marlins. Could Mets’ first baseman Ike Davis be the next domino to fall?
While nothing appears to be imminent, Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio reports that the Brewers, Rays, and Pirates are all in the mix to acquire Davis. Adam Rubin of ESPN New York had a similar report earlier this afternoon. The Mets are said to be seeking a pitching prospect in return, with multiple reports stating that the Brewers turned down a swap involving right-hander Tyler Thornburg. It’s worth noting that the Brewers, Rays and Pirates have all been mentioned as possible landing spots for free agent first baseman James Loney, so something will have to give soon.
The Mets appear ready to turn the page on Davis after he batted just .205/.326/.334 with nine home runs and 33 RBI over 103 games this past season. MLB Trade Rumors projects him to make $3.5 million in arbitration, so clearing his salary could allow the Mets to make other moves. Lucas Duda is expected to take over full-time at first base in 2014.
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 26
- Futures Game lineups: Team USA vs. Team World 6
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 26
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)