Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Mariners took two first baseman off the board earlier today by agreeing to a deal with Corey Hart and acquiring Logan Morrison from the Marlins. Could Mets’ first baseman Ike Davis be the next domino to fall?
While nothing appears to be imminent, Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio reports that the Brewers, Rays, and Pirates are all in the mix to acquire Davis. Adam Rubin of ESPN New York had a similar report earlier this afternoon. The Mets are said to be seeking a pitching prospect in return, with multiple reports stating that the Brewers turned down a swap involving right-hander Tyler Thornburg. It’s worth noting that the Brewers, Rays and Pirates have all been mentioned as possible landing spots for free agent first baseman James Loney, so something will have to give soon.
The Mets appear ready to turn the page on Davis after he batted just .205/.326/.334 with nine home runs and 33 RBI over 103 games this past season. MLB Trade Rumors projects him to make $3.5 million in arbitration, so clearing his salary could allow the Mets to make other moves. Lucas Duda is expected to take over full-time at first base in 2014.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)