Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Don Mattingly is unhappy about the possibility of entering 2014 in the final year of his contract, but the Dodgers manager declined to address the topic yesterday during what Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times called an “awkward” press conference.
Two months ago there was speculation that Mattingly might quit if he didn’t get a contract extension–and his right-hand man, bench coach Trey Hillman, got fired–so the situation has calmed down considerably since then, but his quotes still had plenty of bite to them:
At this point, it’s not worth talking about. I think that day I was fairly clear. Like anything else that’s happened with me in the past, you talk about it and you don’t continue to talk about it. I don’t think anybody really wants to hear about my situation. They’d rather hear about the players, what we’re trying to do, how we’re trying to win.
Asked if he’s talked to the Dodgers about a new contract since October, he replied: “I’m happy with the way everything’s going.” And then, as Hernandez documents in his article, Mattingly answered a series of similar questions with non-answer answers to make it clear that “happy” isn’t the most accurate word choice.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)