Don Mattingly won’t talk contract status at “awkward” press conference

Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Ned Colletti, Don Mattingly AP

Don Mattingly is unhappy about the possibility of entering 2014 in the final year of his contract, but the Dodgers manager declined to address the topic yesterday during what Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times called an “awkward” press conference.

Two months ago there was speculation that Mattingly might quit if he didn’t get a contract extension–and his right-hand man, bench coach Trey Hillman, got fired–so the situation has calmed down considerably since then, but his quotes still had plenty of bite to them:

At this point, it’s not worth talking about. I think that day I was fairly clear. Like anything else that’s happened with me in the past, you talk about it and you don’t continue to talk about it. I don’t think anybody really wants to hear about my situation. They’d rather hear about the players, what we’re trying to do, how we’re trying to win.

Asked if he’s talked to the Dodgers about a new contract since October, he replied: “I’m happy with the way everything’s going.” And then, as Hernandez documents in his article, Mattingly answered a series of similar questions with non-answer answers to make it clear that “happy” isn’t the most accurate word choice.

1. hittfamily - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Ha. That picture of Donny is hilarious. He looks like Chris Hansen just walked in the room, and all the “To Catch a Predator” camera crew just came out of the kitchen.

“Why don’t you sit down, I’d like to ask you a few questions.”

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

That’s his best Jeff Loria face.

“Talking about my money is so…gauche.”

• mick2014 - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

It takes one to know one ha you little bugger!

• hittfamily - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am kind of a celebrity. I was on COPS once. I was that guy in a wife beater with his face blurred.

2. daniel10017 - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I think Mattingly should get the hint that the Dodgers brass doesn’t want him as Manager. He’s not the new owners guy, he’s only there because Joe Torre played hardball with the old management to keep Mattingly on the team. All this tells you is that Mattingly is a goner if the Dodgers get off to a slow start in 2014. To be honest, 2013 was a fluke, apparently management believes that.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Because billionaires can’t buy out that contract. Got it!

• metalhead65 - Dec 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

he may not be happy and may not want to be there but he is not stupid and just going to walk away from the money they are paying him this year.

• gibbyfan - Dec 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

why was 2013 a fluke ? and what’s the problem with mattingly? he brought the team to the brink of the WS. Granted, with that payroll anything less would have been unacceptable but he did get them there. Who would have done better?

3. elmo - Dec 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Reading the exchange, I’m less impressed by the awkwardness of Mattingly’s contract situation than by how obnoxious reporters can be. Yes I know: it’s their job, but it’s amazing how any manager or player can find the patience to put up with the constant stream of fishing-for-controversy questions. I wouldn’t really blame any of them for going the full Manny and never talking to them at all.

• raysfan1 - Dec 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

My first thought with happy not meaning happy during the exchange was that it could have something to do with reporters being as stubborn with a topic as a pit bull is wth a bone.

4. merlincrm - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM

hmmm. Is there a good reason for the Dodgers to hire Oral Hershiser to their broadcasting team. I think he would do a better job than Mattingly myself.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1941)