Dec 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
He’s coming off his second shoulder surgery and just this week we learned, in the form of Roy Halladay‘s retirement, just how devastating shoulder surgeries can be. But that’s not stopping as many as eight teams expressing interest in Johan Santana, reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York.
The Mets, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Orioles, Royals, Brewers and Pirates are teams which, at some point recently, have been tied to Santana to greater or lesser degrees. Probably lesser, in terms of both interest and money, as he is nothing approaching a sure thing to be a useful pitcher anymore. But on a one-year deal with more incentives than guaranteed dollars? Sure, why not? What’s to lose?
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 9
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 48
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 112
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)