Dec 11, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL — Eric Nadel, the radio voice of the Texas Rangers, has been named the winner of the Ford C. Frick Award. The Fick Award is presented annually for excellence in broadcasting by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
The fourth time was the charm for Nadel, as he was previously nominated the past three years, only to be passed over. Passed over this year were finalists Joe Castiglione, Jacques Doucet, Ken Harrelson, Bill King, Duane Kuiper, Eduardo Ortega, Mike Shannon, Dewayne Staats and Pete van Wieren. There’s a lot of broadcasting talent in that group and no doubt some future Frick Award winners among them. Hawk Harrelson is in there too.
Nadel will be honored during the July 26 Awards Presentation as part of Hall of Fame Weekend 2014 in Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11