Dec 11, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Washington has been linked to basically every possible left-handed reliever all offseason and the Nationals finally snagged one, acquiring Jerry Blevins from the A’s for minor-league outfielder Billy Burns.
Blevins was expendable because of Oakland’s impressive bullpen depth, but he’s been much more than a strict southpaw specialist with a 2.81 ERA and 132 strikeouts in 154 innings during the past three seasons while actually faring better against righties (.205 AVG, .634 OPS) than lefties (.224 AVG, .674 OPS).
Burns was just named the Nationals’ minor league player of the year after hitting .315 with 74 steals in 121 games between high Single-A and Double-A as a 23-year-old. He’s not considered a top prospect, failing to crack Baseball America‘s recent top 10 for the Nationals’ system, but with a .421 on-base percentage and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratios it’s easy to see why the A’s targeted him.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (86)