Dec 11, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
The Orioles have been pretty quiet at this week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, but it sounds like that could change soon.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have made offers to outfielder Nelson Cruz and closer Grant Balfour. No word on the specifics, but the thought is that they are willing to offer Cruz something similar to Curtis Granderson‘s four-year, $60 million deal with the Mets or even go above it if need be. The Orioles would have to give up their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) in order to sign him. As for Balfour, he will almost certainly require a multi-year agreement.
While Heyman writes that Balfour is Baltimore’s first choice to replace the recently-traded Jim Johnson as closer, they are monitoring the market for alternatives. On that note, FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi hears that the club is still in discussions with Joaquin Benoit and John Axford. Former Indians closer Chris Perez is also a possibility.
UPDATE: Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun hears from a club source that the Orioles have not made an offer to Cruz. That’s the Winter Meetings for you.
UPDATE II: And now we have a second report, this time from Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, that the Orioles haven’t made an offer to Cruz. They are said to be looking at other lefty bats.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (197)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)