Dec 11, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
The Orioles have been pretty quiet at this week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, but it sounds like that could change soon.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have made offers to outfielder Nelson Cruz and closer Grant Balfour. No word on the specifics, but the thought is that they are willing to offer Cruz something similar to Curtis Granderson‘s four-year, $60 million deal with the Mets or even go above it if need be. The Orioles would have to give up their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) in order to sign him. As for Balfour, he will almost certainly require a multi-year agreement.
While Heyman writes that Balfour is Baltimore’s first choice to replace the recently-traded Jim Johnson as closer, they are monitoring the market for alternatives. On that note, FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi hears that the club is still in discussions with Joaquin Benoit and John Axford. Former Indians closer Chris Perez is also a possibility.
UPDATE: Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun hears from a club source that the Orioles have not made an offer to Cruz. That’s the Winter Meetings for you.
UPDATE II: And now we have a second report, this time from Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, that the Orioles haven’t made an offer to Cruz. They are said to be looking at other lefty bats.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)