Dec 11, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
The Orioles have been pretty quiet at this week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, but it sounds like that could change soon.
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have made offers to outfielder Nelson Cruz and closer Grant Balfour. No word on the specifics, but the thought is that they are willing to offer Cruz something similar to Curtis Granderson‘s four-year, $60 million deal with the Mets or even go above it if need be. The Orioles would have to give up their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) in order to sign him. As for Balfour, he will almost certainly require a multi-year agreement.
While Heyman writes that Balfour is Baltimore’s first choice to replace the recently-traded Jim Johnson as closer, they are monitoring the market for alternatives. On that note, FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi hears that the club is still in discussions with Joaquin Benoit and John Axford. Former Indians closer Chris Perez is also a possibility.
UPDATE: Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun hears from a club source that the Orioles have not made an offer to Cruz. That’s the Winter Meetings for you.
UPDATE II: And now we have a second report, this time from Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, that the Orioles haven’t made an offer to Cruz. They are said to be looking at other lefty bats.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)