Dec 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
WSB News in Atlanta has learned that a group called the Atlanta Tea Party Patriots are going to sue the Cobb County Commission within ten days in an effort to block the expenditure of taxpayer dollars for the Braves new ballpark. The idea, the Tea Party Patriots, say, is that it’s illegal for public money to go into a private enterprise in the way Cobb County is doing it.
Eh. To the extent that there are all kinds of fun rules and laws that dictate how public dollars can be spent, I won’t say that there’s nothing at all to this lawsuit. There’s a good chance that some “i” wasn’t dotted and some “t” wasn’t crossed when the commission vote happened a few weeks back. Maybe this lasts a while in some annoying way.
But the idea that it will actually stop or even delay the Braves move to Cobb County is pretty unlikely. Procedure is one thing and it’s one thing that can be remedied, especially as early on as this project is. But it is not illegal for governments to spend money for ballparks. Even if it is dumb. My guess is that this goes pretty much nowhere in the long run.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)