Dec 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
WSB News in Atlanta has learned that a group called the Atlanta Tea Party Patriots are going to sue the Cobb County Commission within ten days in an effort to block the expenditure of taxpayer dollars for the Braves new ballpark. The idea, the Tea Party Patriots, say, is that it’s illegal for public money to go into a private enterprise in the way Cobb County is doing it.
Eh. To the extent that there are all kinds of fun rules and laws that dictate how public dollars can be spent, I won’t say that there’s nothing at all to this lawsuit. There’s a good chance that some “i” wasn’t dotted and some “t” wasn’t crossed when the commission vote happened a few weeks back. Maybe this lasts a while in some annoying way.
But the idea that it will actually stop or even delay the Braves move to Cobb County is pretty unlikely. Procedure is one thing and it’s one thing that can be remedied, especially as early on as this project is. But it is not illegal for governments to spend money for ballparks. Even if it is dumb. My guess is that this goes pretty much nowhere in the long run.
- Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 0
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (106)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)