The Marlins are reportedly interested in Rickie Weeks

Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT

Rickie Weeks Getty Getty Images

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Marlins are interested in a trade for Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks. Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors confirms the report.

It’s an odd fit on the surface, as the Marlins just signed Rafael Furcal to a one-year deal last week to be their second baseman. However, he’s far from a lock to stay healthy and the Marlins could convince the Brewers to eat some of Weeks’ $11 million salary for 2014 in order to move him. The 31-year-old has fallen out of favor in Milwaukee, with Brewers manager Ron Roenicke saying yesterday that he’s prepared to go into spring training with Scooter Gennett as his starting second baseman.

Weeks batted just .209/.306/.357 with 10 home runs, 24 RBI in 104 games this year prior to undergoing surgery in August to repair a torn hamstring. His .663 OPS was the lowest of his career.

1. theaxmancometh - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

As a Brewer fan, take him!! Please, take him!!

• Barb Caffrey - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Definitely. Rickie needs a fresh start, and so do Brewers fans.

• brewcrewchamps - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I’ll second that! Though I’m not sure why anyone would want him..

2. spudchukar - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I never fully bought into the idea that Furcal was going to move to 2B. If his arm is fully recovered, then he isn’t a good fit there. Rumors swirl about the movement of Hechevaria. So I get the interest.

• Old Gator - Dec 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Hechavarria was one of three guys that local fans thought were worth going to watch at Macondo Banana Massacre field, the other two being the Iron Giant and El Keed. Move Hechavarria, who’s entertaining, cheap and controllable for an over the hill disappointment who earns millions more? Acute stupidity. Will overspending become the new Feesh idiocy? If you wasted your mind on this team at all, it would boggle.

• spudchukar - Dec 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I happen to be more of a Hechavarria believer than some. I just read that he had been rumored to be moved and know that Furcal, and his cannon arm, assuming it is repaired, still has SS capabilities.

If I were a Marlins fan, and I am much more of a liker than hater, I would like to see him stay, and get more playing time in the Bigs.

3. detectivejimmymcnulty - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I have a confession. I used to love Rickie Weeks. I thought he was going to be a superstar. I remember Gammons (I think) relay a quote along the lines of “BJ Upton is good, but Rickie Weeks is the man.” Ironically, both have really fell below expectations.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I too have liked Rickie Weeks. As a Yanks fan, I would seriously rather have them pick up this guy for a low price than waste Gardner in a Phillips deal. Weeks has comeback potential (and seems like a lot better clubhouse presence than BP), it would keep their budget below the luxury cap (I am anticipating a 50-game suspension for A-rod; if he gets more, it helps the Yanks budget but is totally unjust) and Gardner should either star in LF or bring them a needed starting pitcher.

• kmkravitz7 - Dec 13, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Sometimes wonder why Gammons is in Hall Of Fame. Granted he has a lot of contacts around MLB, but reading his column, when he was a newspaperman, and hearing such predictions since then have found him way off in his assessments of players.

4. aphillieated - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:49 PM

More K’s for Lee and Hamels. :)

5. roanboon - Dec 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM

detectivejimmymcnulty— I also remember that… along with Bill Hall getting his preseason NL MVP prediction and the centerfold of ESPN the magazine… and claiming the brewers AA club was the best ever seen with Gamel, Escobar etc… So much hope just a few years ago… somehow all down the drain. Sad times.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Rickie is a great guy unfortunately he never lived up to his ability in Milwaukee. I hope for better days for him somewhere else.

7. uwsptke - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

You can’t spell Rickie Weeks without three E’s and two K’s.

Three legends off to Cooperstown