Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
It’s an odd fit on the surface, as the Marlins just signed Rafael Furcal to a one-year deal last week to be their second baseman. However, he’s far from a lock to stay healthy and the Marlins could convince the Brewers to eat some of Weeks’ $11 million salary for 2014 in order to move him. The 31-year-old has fallen out of favor in Milwaukee, with Brewers manager Ron Roenicke saying yesterday that he’s prepared to go into spring training with Scooter Gennett as his starting second baseman.
Weeks batted just .209/.306/.357 with 10 home runs, 24 RBI in 104 games this year prior to undergoing surgery in August to repair a torn hamstring. His .663 OPS was the lowest of his career.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)