Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
It’s an odd fit on the surface, as the Marlins just signed Rafael Furcal to a one-year deal last week to be their second baseman. However, he’s far from a lock to stay healthy and the Marlins could convince the Brewers to eat some of Weeks’ $11 million salary for 2014 in order to move him. The 31-year-old has fallen out of favor in Milwaukee, with Brewers manager Ron Roenicke saying yesterday that he’s prepared to go into spring training with Scooter Gennett as his starting second baseman.
Weeks batted just .209/.306/.357 with 10 home runs, 24 RBI in 104 games this year prior to undergoing surgery in August to repair a torn hamstring. His .663 OPS was the lowest of his career.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12