Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
It’s an odd fit on the surface, as the Marlins just signed Rafael Furcal to a one-year deal last week to be their second baseman. However, he’s far from a lock to stay healthy and the Marlins could convince the Brewers to eat some of Weeks’ $11 million salary for 2014 in order to move him. The 31-year-old has fallen out of favor in Milwaukee, with Brewers manager Ron Roenicke saying yesterday that he’s prepared to go into spring training with Scooter Gennett as his starting second baseman.
Weeks batted just .209/.306/.357 with 10 home runs, 24 RBI in 104 games this year prior to undergoing surgery in August to repair a torn hamstring. His .663 OPS was the lowest of his career.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)