Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
It’s an odd fit on the surface, as the Marlins just signed Rafael Furcal to a one-year deal last week to be their second baseman. However, he’s far from a lock to stay healthy and the Marlins could convince the Brewers to eat some of Weeks’ $11 million salary for 2014 in order to move him. The 31-year-old has fallen out of favor in Milwaukee, with Brewers manager Ron Roenicke saying yesterday that he’s prepared to go into spring training with Scooter Gennett as his starting second baseman.
Weeks batted just .209/.306/.357 with 10 home runs, 24 RBI in 104 games this year prior to undergoing surgery in August to repair a torn hamstring. His .663 OPS was the lowest of his career.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 18
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29