The Marlins have expressed interest in Delmon Young

Dec 11, 2013, 11:00 AM EST

My second ” . . . for some reason” post of the day:

Well, I suppose you have to have 40 men on a roster, so he’s better than “TBD.” Not much better, though. Young hit .260/.307/.407 with 11 homers in 361 plate appearances between the Phillies and Rays.

If he weren’t a one-time top pick who had one really good season several years ago I don’t suppose he’d continue to draw interest each season. But baseball people are pretty big on looking at guys and seeing potential — lost or otherwise — rather than reality at times, and Young benefits from that a lot.

1. Kevin S. - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

One horrid human being deserves another.

• Old Gator - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

You beat me to it. Of course, it’s hilarious that he’d be playing badly for a Jewish owner.

• xjokerz - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

he played for Mike Illitch…who is Jewish.

Go Tigers.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ruben Amaro Jr. is Jewish as well

• Old Gator - Dec 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I didn’t realize that either of them were. But then let’s put it this way: it’s hilarious that he’d be playing badly for a Jewish owner he deserves.

2. xjokerz - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

well, he should come cheap.

3. historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Yeah, buddy!

4. natstowngreg - Dec 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM

One of these “interest” headlines that merits just one response. “Why?”

Giving this guy a 40-man roster slot, instead of giving it to some kid who might contribute to the 25-man roster down the road? Um, yeah.

• ejheim62 - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

hey, it’s the Marlins. You expect logic from these guys? I live here, and believe me, I get to hear all the dumb things their management does, ad nauseum. I mean, who builds a stadium with only 5,000 parking spots, only ONE exit ramp off the highway, and then doesn’t understand why people don’t go to games? Throw in the fact that the team sucks, well….

5. octom - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM