Dec 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
I used to always add “for some reason” to headlines like that, but at this point I figure it is assumed:
#rays are casting wide net in search for 1B types. another free agent who interests them is power bat mark reynolds.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 11, 2013
Reynolds hit .220/.306/.393 with 21 homers and 67 RBI in 504 plate appearances between the Indians and Yankees in 2013. He can hit some homers and do about nothing else worth a damn, sadly. He has played OK first base at times in the past year or two, so I suppose the Rays could use him as a first baseman if they had to, but this is like a poor — or poorer — man’s version of their mostly ill-fated Carlos Pena move a couple of years ago.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)