Dec 11, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
UPDATE: Buster Olney reports that there are “no legs” to this. Sorry to hear about your legs, Justin Masterson. But you can live a full healthy life without them, I’m sure.
9:16 AM: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Yankees are interested in Justin Masterson. Which makes sense, as the Yankees can use starting pitching and Masterson is a good starting pitcher.
As Nightengale notes, though, the best trade chit New York has at the moment is Brett Gardner, and the Indians don’t need a center fielder with Michael Bourn hanging around, so a three-team trade might make sense. Certainly one to watch over the next day or two. We learned yesterday that it’s fun to watch three-team trades develop.
But to be honest, I’m not sure why New York would be considerably better off trading Gardner for Masterson when there are so many starting pitchers available on the open market right now that would cost them nothing but money. Especially considering that Masterson is in his walk year. A Bartolo Colon reunion would be a useful, short-term thing for the Yankees, no?
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)