Dec 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
And what better story for musical adaptation than “Bull Durham.” I mean, I guess:
Producers of a new musical version plan to stage their show at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta in September 2014. Academy Award nominee Ron Shelton, who directed and wrote the movie, has adapted his screenplay. Kip Fagan will direct. Casting and a production schedule will be announced later.
The film starred Kevin Costner as a veteran minor-league catcher who’s assigned to handle the team’s wild new pitcher, “Nuke” LaLoosh, played by Tim Robbins. Susan Sarandon played a longtime fan who becomes romantically involved with both men.
I love “Bull Durham.” It’s either my favorite or second-favorite baseball movie of all time, depending on my mood. But I’d rather watch “Trouble With The Curve” on an endless loop than sit through one song about Nuke LaLoosh. One word of advice, though: Carrie Underwood would not make a good Annie Savoy. I’d cast her instead in the Robert Wuhl role.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)