They’re making “Bull Durham” into a musical

Dec 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT

groupies_bulldurham

18.6 million people just watched “The Sound Of Music Live” on NBC–including one blogger who did so under heavy duress–so musicals are hot right now!

And what better story for musical adaptation than “Bull Durham.” I mean, I guess:

Producers of a new musical version plan to stage their show at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta in September 2014. Academy Award nominee Ron Shelton, who directed and wrote the movie, has adapted his screenplay. Kip Fagan will direct. Casting and a production schedule will be announced later.

The film starred Kevin Costner as a veteran minor-league catcher who’s assigned to handle the team’s wild new pitcher, “Nuke” LaLoosh, played by Tim Robbins. Susan Sarandon played a longtime fan who becomes romantically involved with both men.

I love “Bull Durham.” It’s either my favorite or second-favorite baseball movie of all time, depending on my mood. But I’d rather watch “Trouble With The Curve” on an endless loop than sit through one song about Nuke LaLoosh. One word of advice, though: Carrie Underwood would not make a good Annie Savoy. I’d cast her instead in the Robert Wuhl role.

1. kalinedrive - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Oh she may get wooly, women do get wooly, because of all the stress…

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Couldn’t agree more Aaron. Leave perfection as is. Don’t do to Bull Durham what George Lucas did to Indiana Jones on South Park.

3. sdelmonte - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Eventually, every movie and TV ever made will be a bad musical. I even expect musicals based on musicals.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Hairspray was a movie made into a musical made into a movie.

4. losangelesfan - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Okay, well, uh… candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she’s registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let’s get two! Go get ‘em.

Set to music. Can’t wait.

• ptfu - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I could see that whole exchange done in a Gilbert & Sullivan style.

• someguyinva - Dec 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The “Lollygaggers” song ought to bring the house down.

5. farvite - Dec 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

“Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist.”

6. xdj511 - Dec 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I guess what we’ll know what Crash Davis’ “what I believe in” speech will sound like set to music after all…

7. historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’m going to call BS here, Gleeman. I think you’re one of those guys who bitches about floral pillows (and watching musicals) but secretly loves them because they say you’re taken. lol

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It has possibilities….

Nuke: A-Ball lovin’, had me a blast
    Annie: A-Ball lovin’, happened so fast
    Nuke: Met a girl, she looked 43
    Annie: Met a boy, he pitched wildly
    Both: A-Ball days drifting away
    To, uh oh, oh those A-Ball nights

9. Old Gator - Dec 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Well, it’s not going to b e as much fun as a musical version of One Hundred Years of Solitude, but if they could make a musical version of Finnegan’s Wake (Yes! They ackcherley did! See here:http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-coach-with-the-six-insides-mw0000941067) then they can make a musical out of anything.

And yeah, Crash’s “I Believe” speech ought to be the pinnacle of the show.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

There’s no way it could be worse than 1776.

10. chiadam - Dec 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Great. Find a way to make this thinly disguised chick flick even gayer.

11. JJT - Dec 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

The hills are alive, with the sounds of the shrieks of the damned.

12. bravojawja - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

In defense of the Alliance, they did a good job with Bring It On despite the absence of both Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku. On the other hand, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County was pretty bad despite the presence of Stephen King, John Mellencamp, and T-Bone Burnett.

All I know is I have an in there and hopefully can score free tickets.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB