Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Gazette is reporting that one of Canada’s great cities could once again be a home for a Major League Baseball team as long as a new stadium is built in the downtown area. A study was performed by Ernst and Young and the law firm BCF, which found that it would cost Montreal $525 million to acquire a new team and $500 million to build a new stadium.
More on the study from the Gazette:
The study said, based on the information collected and a “conservative analysis,” the return of baseball would be financially viable under “a set of realistic assumptions.” They include “a modest but competitive payroll, average ticket prices in line with league averages, and a local broadcasting rights deal in line with other similar MLB markets.”
The study suggested a 36,000 seat open-air stadium in the downtown area and cites Minnesota’s Target Field as a model.
Montreal lost the Expos after the 2004 season. The franchise moved to Washington, D.C. and became the Nationals, suffering the same run of mediocrity the Expos went through during much of the 1970’s through the 1990’s. However, they broke a 21-year playoff drought in 2012, winning the NL East behind first-round pick phenoms Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg. They finished in second place behind the Braves in 2013.
Obviously, this is far from becoming a reality, but that doesn’t mean we can’t speculate which teams would be a good fit. A’s it cold in here or just me?
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (128)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)