Dec 12, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Morse got off to a great start this year, but then hit just .201 with five homers and a .584 OPS in 64 games after May 1 while missing time with a wrist injury. Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants have promised Morse the everyday job in left field, which means Gregor Blanco is headed to the bench in a power-for-defense swap.
If healthy Morse is a good bet to bounce back at age 32, although he’s always going to be a brutal defensive player who gives back a lot of runs with his glove. However, from 2010-2012 he hit .296 with an .861 OPS in 346 games for the Nationals, averaging 30 homers per 150 games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (107)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)