Dec 12, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Morse got off to a great start this year, but then hit just .201 with five homers and a .584 OPS in 64 games after May 1 while missing time with a wrist injury. Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants have promised Morse the everyday job in left field, which means Gregor Blanco is headed to the bench in a power-for-defense swap.
If healthy Morse is a good bet to bounce back at age 32, although he’s always going to be a brutal defensive player who gives back a lot of runs with his glove. However, from 2010-2012 he hit .296 with an .861 OPS in 346 games for the Nationals, averaging 30 homers per 150 games.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)