Dec 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez‘s P.R. guy, Michael Sitrick, was allegedly served with a subpoena by Major League Baseball. They wanted him to testify in the arbitration as to whether he or his underlings leaked Biogenesis documents implicating Ryan Braun and Francisco Cervelli to the press. MLB believes that he did, and by doing so A-Rod — through his rep — impeded the Biogenesis investigation, thereby requiring that A-Rod receive a greater suspension than everyone else.
Problem: Sitrick did not appear to testify and the arbitration is now closed. And, as Rich Calder of the New York Post reports, MLB and Sitrick are fighting the matter of his subpoena out in court, with MLB trying to reopen the arbitration to get his testimony in.
Lots of legal things in there that are of interest to some of you, but the bigger take here: if Major League Baseball is frantically trying to get evidence of A-Rod’s obstruction after the arbitration is closed, how strong could their obstruction case as presented in the arbitration actually be? And if it’s not strong, what possible basis is there for a suspension more than four-times greater than that provided by the Joint Drug Agreement?
I’d guess that the evidence that A-Rod did something wrong, thereby justifying a suspension of some sort is pretty good as it compares to all of the other players who got 50-65 game suspensions out of all of this. But the case for over 200 games sounds like the weakest sauce imaginable.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)