Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is enjoying a nice season. His team is 11-2 and has already clinched at least a Wild Card spot, and will likely soon wrap up the NFC West. What many have forgotten is that he was once a fourth-round pick by the Rockies in the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. He played second base in the Minors for two seasons in A-ball with Tri-City and Asheville, compiling a .710 OPS in 379 plate appearances.
He might have made a useful Major League player someday, but we can all agree he made the right choice to stick with football. Nevertheless, the Rangers plucked Wilson in the Rule-5 draft earlier today. And, according to ESPN’s Richard Durrett, it’s not just a gimmick meant to get publicity. Wilson told GM Jon Daniels he wants to join the Rangers in spring training.Deion Sanders, one of the few multi-sport stars along with Bo Jackson, thinks Wilson “should seriously consider baseball”.
Sanders enjoyed fame as an outfielder over nine seasons with the Yankees, Braves, Reds, and Giants; and as a cornerback with the Falcons, 49ers, Cowboys, Redskins, and Ravens. Few people should be dispensing advice to Wilson, but Sanders certainly can.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)