Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is enjoying a nice season. His team is 11-2 and has already clinched at least a Wild Card spot, and will likely soon wrap up the NFC West. What many have forgotten is that he was once a fourth-round pick by the Rockies in the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. He played second base in the Minors for two seasons in A-ball with Tri-City and Asheville, compiling a .710 OPS in 379 plate appearances.
He might have made a useful Major League player someday, but we can all agree he made the right choice to stick with football. Nevertheless, the Rangers plucked Wilson in the Rule-5 draft earlier today. And, according to ESPN’s Richard Durrett, it’s not just a gimmick meant to get publicity. Wilson told GM Jon Daniels he wants to join the Rangers in spring training.Deion Sanders, one of the few multi-sport stars along with Bo Jackson, thinks Wilson “should seriously consider baseball”.
Sanders enjoyed fame as an outfielder over nine seasons with the Yankees, Braves, Reds, and Giants; and as a cornerback with the Falcons, 49ers, Cowboys, Redskins, and Ravens. Few people should be dispensing advice to Wilson, but Sanders certainly can.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)