Dec 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Hernandez–formerly Fausto Carmona before being busted for identity fraud–posted an ugly 4.89 ERA in 151 innings for the Rays this year while being bumped from the rotation.
On one hand the Rays not being able to fix a pitcher suggests he may not be fixable. On the other hand Hernandez’s secondary stats improved dramatically, as he issued just 38 walks in 151 innings after years of awful control and managed a decent number of strikeouts while maintaining a strong ground-ball rate.
At the very least he’s capable of being a solid back-of-the-rotation starter for the Phillies and there’s still some upside beyond that.
UPDATE: Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors says it’s a $4.5 million deal with another $1.5 million in possible incentives.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 28
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)