Dec 12, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
After shocking the baseball world by agreeing to a 10-year, $240 million contract with second baseman Robinson Cano last week, the Mariners reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with Corey Hart today while picking up Logan Morrison in a trade with the Marlins. However, they aren’t done attempting to remake their offense.
Even after signing Robinson Cano and bringing Hart and Morrison into the fold, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik doesn’t appear ready to close the door on upgrades to an offense that ranked 12th in the American League with 624 runs scored. The Mariners have been ardent Cruz pursuers from the start of the winter, and one baseball source said they’ll continue to be in the mix for him.
Cruz has a few other potential landing sites. The Texas Rangers would like to bring him back on a two- or three-year deal, and the Baltimore Orioles could use an impact bat in left field. ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark has also speculated that the Kansas City Royals could jump into the fray if they trade Billy Butler for pitching. But that’s a complicated, long-shot scenario at best.
Rumors of Cruz turning down a five-year, $75 million offer from the Mariners haven’t been confirmed, but Crasnick hears that many at the Winter Meetings believe he’ll ultimately land a contract close to the four-year, $60 million deal the Mets gave to Curtis Granderson. The 33-year-old turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers in order to test free agency, so teams would have to give up a draft pick in order to sign him. A return to Texas could happen if Shin-Soo Choo (and Scott Boras) remains firm about his lofty asking price.
Cruz hit .266/.327/.506 with 27 home runs and 76 RBI over 109 games this past season and served a 50-game PED suspension for his ties to Biogenesis.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 4
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)