Dec 12, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Now that the Nationals are out of the left-handed reliever market after finally finding their southpaw yesterday some of the other dominoes can start falling, with Troy Renck of the Denver Post reporting that the Rockies are deep in talks with J.P. Howell.
Howell is a soft-tosser, averaging just 87.4 miles per hour with his fastball in 2013, but he’s always managed a solid strikeout rate and threw 62 innings with a 2.04 ERA for the Dodgers this year.
At age 31–and with a sub-3.25 ERA in four of his past five seasons–Howell is no doubt in line for a multi-year deal.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)