Boone Logan signs a three-year, $16.5 million deal with Colorado

Dec 13, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT

boone logan yankees Getty Images

Jon Heyman reports that the Rockies will sign Boone Logan to a three-year, $16.5 million contract. Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported that the deal was close last night.

Logan — a lefty reliever — is an eight-year veteran having spent time with the White Sox, Braves, and Yankees. Over the past three seasons in New York he has posted a 3.38 ERA with 202 strikeouts and 58 unintentional walks in 176 innings.

Nice pickup for Colorado. Nice deal for Logan.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m contractually obligated to say that he puts the BOOOOO in Boone.

Good luck with that, Colorado.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Over 8 years he has appeared in 420 games and has only pitched 302 innings. The lefty specialist gets $5.5 million a year for 3 years. Isn’t inflation wonderful?

3. hittfamily - Dec 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Holy overpay Batman.

Even LOOGY’s are getting the big bucks.

• ezthinking - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It’s not an “overpay” when that’s the market price.

• hittfamily - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

JP Howell is a superior pitcher. Let’s see if he gets 16 mil guaranteed. I’m betting he doesn’t. Wesley Wright is basically the same pitcher. He just signed a 1.5 mil deal with the Cubs.

• ezthinking - Dec 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Howell will likely get the same money.

Wright didn’t prove much throwing most of his innings in Houston. Plus, his agent must suckk. Either that, or he just loves Chicago-style pizza.

4. sometogethernow - Dec 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I like how this story and your previous story on Logan show him in the exact same position, same face and everything, the same point in his windup, but one in home pinstripes and one in a road uni.

Repeatable mechanics, all $5.5M of them.

5. eshine76 - Dec 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I’m buying my sons (one is a lefty) a Boone Logan poster for Christmas. “Boys, even if you aren’t blessed with the gifts of Clayton Kershaw, you can be a situational reliever and still be set for life.”

6. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM

“you can be a situational reliever and I can still be set for life”

Fixed.

7. jfk69 - Dec 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Honey get me my glove. I think I can at least get a million for some situational work

• ezthinking - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Doubt it. The minor leagues, independent leagues, amateur ball and the bars are full of people who can’t but think they can.

Sometimes, the Little Train can think it can, but just can’t.

8. pisano - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

At first I thought this was a little odd, that the Yankees would let go of a left-handed reliever, but it tells me that the Nuno and Cabral are ready for the big show. Nuno, will probably be the long man, and Cabral the left-handed specialist, or it could be vice versa, but either way, they probably felt they didn’t need Logan anymore, especially at 5,000,000+ a year.

• cackalackyank - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I had heard that Nuno’s name has been in the 5 spot discussion for the rotation. I am not familiar with Cabral. But, this, plus the price tag, answer my question about why the Yankees let him walk.

9. maximusprime107 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

So the Rockies said they were going to improve their pitching this offseason and still get no one of significance. I know they got Anderson but he’s a huge question mark

10. louhudson23 - Dec 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Yanks will miss this guy….

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win