Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Mat Gamel, who was a top prospect and the heir apparent at first base for the Brewers before multiple knee surgeries derailed his career, has signed a minor-league contract with the Braves.
Atlanta isn’t a great landing spot for Gamel because the Braves have Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson locked into corner infield jobs, although perhaps given his injury history a part-time bench role is the best plan anyway.
Gamel has logged just 269 total plate appearances in the majors through age 27, but has hit .301 with 53 homers and an .886 OPS in 290 games at Triple-A, including very good numbers there this year. He’s definitely someone to root for.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)