Dec 13, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about how Major League Baseball was desperately trying to force A-Rod’s public relations guy, Michael Sitrick, to testify in the Biogenesis arbitration. The arbitration which is over, by the way, but MLB says it needs Sitrick in order to establish that A-Rod obstructed the Biogenesis investigation. Welp, sorry MLB:
Manhattan federal Judge Edgardo Ramos sided with A-Rod’s former PR maven Michael Sitrick, granting him a stay that gets “The Wizard of Spin” out of complying with the judge’s Nov. 22 order to honor an MLB subpoena and appear before the independent arbitrator who’ll determine the ban while Sitrick appeals the ruling to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
This doesn’t mean that, eventually, a court won’t say that Sitrick doesn’t have to comply with the subpoena. But it does mean that any such ruling will come way to late to help Major League Baseball, which wants him to show up in New York before the arbitrator issues his ruling. That’s not going to happen now.
There’s a quote from an attorney in the linked New York Post piece to the effect that baseball still thinks it’ll have no trouble obtaining the 211-game suspension against A-Rod without Sitrick’s testimony. But if that’s the case, one wonders why MLB fought so hard to get Sitrick under oath. And, if it got his testimony, to open up the arbitration that has been closed for a few weeks now.
My guess: the obstruction of justice case is pretty weak. And if it is, one wonders how MLB gets to 211 games.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)