Dec 13, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about how Major League Baseball was desperately trying to force A-Rod’s public relations guy, Michael Sitrick, to testify in the Biogenesis arbitration. The arbitration which is over, by the way, but MLB says it needs Sitrick in order to establish that A-Rod obstructed the Biogenesis investigation. Welp, sorry MLB:
Manhattan federal Judge Edgardo Ramos sided with A-Rod’s former PR maven Michael Sitrick, granting him a stay that gets “The Wizard of Spin” out of complying with the judge’s Nov. 22 order to honor an MLB subpoena and appear before the independent arbitrator who’ll determine the ban while Sitrick appeals the ruling to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
This doesn’t mean that, eventually, a court won’t say that Sitrick doesn’t have to comply with the subpoena. But it does mean that any such ruling will come way to late to help Major League Baseball, which wants him to show up in New York before the arbitrator issues his ruling. That’s not going to happen now.
There’s a quote from an attorney in the linked New York Post piece to the effect that baseball still thinks it’ll have no trouble obtaining the 211-game suspension against A-Rod without Sitrick’s testimony. But if that’s the case, one wonders why MLB fought so hard to get Sitrick under oath. And, if it got his testimony, to open up the arbitration that has been closed for a few weeks now.
My guess: the obstruction of justice case is pretty weak. And if it is, one wonders how MLB gets to 211 games.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)