Dec 13, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about how Major League Baseball was desperately trying to force A-Rod’s public relations guy, Michael Sitrick, to testify in the Biogenesis arbitration. The arbitration which is over, by the way, but MLB says it needs Sitrick in order to establish that A-Rod obstructed the Biogenesis investigation. Welp, sorry MLB:
Manhattan federal Judge Edgardo Ramos sided with A-Rod’s former PR maven Michael Sitrick, granting him a stay that gets “The Wizard of Spin” out of complying with the judge’s Nov. 22 order to honor an MLB subpoena and appear before the independent arbitrator who’ll determine the ban while Sitrick appeals the ruling to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
This doesn’t mean that, eventually, a court won’t say that Sitrick doesn’t have to comply with the subpoena. But it does mean that any such ruling will come way to late to help Major League Baseball, which wants him to show up in New York before the arbitrator issues his ruling. That’s not going to happen now.
There’s a quote from an attorney in the linked New York Post piece to the effect that baseball still thinks it’ll have no trouble obtaining the 211-game suspension against A-Rod without Sitrick’s testimony. But if that’s the case, one wonders why MLB fought so hard to get Sitrick under oath. And, if it got his testimony, to open up the arbitration that has been closed for a few weeks now.
My guess: the obstruction of justice case is pretty weak. And if it is, one wonders how MLB gets to 211 games.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)