Dec 13, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Ryan Roberts, who struggled for the past two years with the Rays after a couple nice seasons for the Diamondbacks, has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Cubs.
Roberts got a late start, securing his first extended action in the majors at age 28, and he’s a career .245 hitter with a .713 OPS that makes him a better bench option than a regular.
He has experience at third base, second base, and left field, but will have to compete for a job during spring training.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)