Dec 13, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
David Ortiz is under contract for $11 million in 2014, which will be his age-38 season, and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the designated hitter is talking to the Red Sox about adding another year to the deal.
Obviously all teams would prefer not to make unnecessary commitments to players nearing 40, but Ortiz has shown zero signs of slowing down and tacking on another season at a similar salary seems reasonable.
Or at least seems reasonable from the Red Sox’s point of view. Given some of the deals handed out to mediocre first basemen and designated hitters already this winter Ortiz wouldn’t be out of line having a higher price tag in mind.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)