Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Hudson is expected to miss most of 2014 following a pair of Tommy John elbow surgeries and the Diamondbacks non-tendered him last week because they ran out of time to work out a deal before the arbitration-offering deadline. According to Piecoro the main sticking point was that Hudson wants a guaranteed spot on the 40-man roster while he rehabs.
Blanco was Arizona’s backup catcher for 2011 and 2012, playing sparingly behind starter Miguel Montero before spending this year in Seattle and Toronto. At age 42 he’s near the end of the line, but Pieroco reports that he’ll cost only a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)