Dec 13, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Levine said this earlier today when asked about why the Yankees were unwilling to give Robinson Cano a ten-year contract:
“If Mike Trout was here, I would recommend a 10-year contract. But for people over 30, I don’t believe it makes sense. I don’t think Hal thinks it makes sense. We were very clear about that.”
I know you’re not supposed to talk about other teams’ players, but this seems like a pretty big overreaction to an off-the-cuff comment. Levine was obviously not trying to signal to Trout and his agents that, hey, if you can only hold out four more years or so, the Yankees will hook you up! He was making up some hypothetical about a young star, and like a lot of people, Mike Trout is the first young star that came to mind.
But I suppose rules are rules. And, of course, no man can say that Major League Baseball does not pursue its investigations with great zeal.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)