Dec 13, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Levine said this earlier today when asked about why the Yankees were unwilling to give Robinson Cano a ten-year contract:
“If Mike Trout was here, I would recommend a 10-year contract. But for people over 30, I don’t believe it makes sense. I don’t think Hal thinks it makes sense. We were very clear about that.”
I know you’re not supposed to talk about other teams’ players, but this seems like a pretty big overreaction to an off-the-cuff comment. Levine was obviously not trying to signal to Trout and his agents that, hey, if you can only hold out four more years or so, the Yankees will hook you up! He was making up some hypothetical about a young star, and like a lot of people, Mike Trout is the first young star that came to mind.
But I suppose rules are rules. And, of course, no man can say that Major League Baseball does not pursue its investigations with great zeal.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11