Major League Baseball to investigate Randy Levine for tampering as a result of Mike Trout comment

Dec 13, 2013, 4:58 PM EST

Randy Levine

This seems pretty dumb: Major League Baseball plans to investigate Yankees president Randy Levine’s comments about Mike Trout today to see if they constitute tampering.

In case you missed it, Levine said this earlier today when asked about why the Yankees were unwilling to give Robinson Cano a ten-year contract:

“If Mike Trout was here, I would recommend a 10-year contract. But for people over 30, I don’t believe it makes sense. I don’t think Hal thinks it makes sense. We were very clear about that.”

I know you’re not supposed to talk about other teams’ players, but this seems like a pretty big overreaction to an off-the-cuff comment. Levine was obviously not trying to signal to Trout and his agents that, hey, if you can only hold out four more years or so, the Yankees will hook you up! He was making up some hypothetical about a young star, and like a lot of people, Mike Trout is the first young star that came to mind.

But I suppose rules are rules. And, of course, no man can say that Major League Baseball does not pursue its investigations with great zeal.

1. uscthom78 - Dec 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Yankees and tampering? That’s old news.

2. theskinsman - Dec 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Nail him! I won’t hold my breath.

3. eatitfanboy - Dec 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM

That’s really stupid. He was making a point about the type of player that would warrant a 10 year contract. I’m quite certain this is not what the tampering rule is meant to deal with.

4. yahmule - Dec 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Why have rules if people are going to get all squeamish about enforcing them? This man knows damn well he shouldn’t be discussing another team’s players – especially in the context of what kind of contract he pay him – so what the hell was he doing? He could have easily made the his point in generic terms.

I hope they lean Draconian to set an example.

5. mazblast - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Randy Levine should be fired by the Yankees or at least muzzled, but this is thin stuff.

What is his exact function, again? What is it that a team “President” does?

6. desal2ds - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Randy Levine is such a tool. I’m a Yankee fan and despise that incompetent fool

7. jamesweltyms - Dec 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

A consensus building here (http://the-mike-trout-sign-o-meter.com/) is that Trout will sign with the Yankees for 10 years and $320MM+. The Angels will find a way to not sign him.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4610)