Dec 13, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Shortstop Miguel Tejada is once again in the news for all the wrong reasons. MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez is reporting that Tejada has been suspended for the rest of the Dominican Winter League season after he admitted to purchasing shares in the rival Gigantes del Cibao while actively playing for Aguilas Cibaenas.
From a translated version of Dionisio Soldevilla’s article on MLB.com:
Tejada played for Cibao Aguilas in the Dominican Winter League and admitted earlier this month that three years ago bought the 72% stake of the company that ran the franchise for the city of San Francisco de Macoris.
In an unrelated matter, Tejada will also continue to serve the remaining 64 games on his 105-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball last season after he tested positive twice for Adderall. Tejada failed to renew his exemption, which expired on April 15.
In 167 plate appearances with the Royals in 2013, Tejada posted a .695 OPS. He is currently a free agent.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)