Dec 13, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Shortstop Miguel Tejada is once again in the news for all the wrong reasons. MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez is reporting that Tejada has been suspended for the rest of the Dominican Winter League season after he admitted to purchasing shares in the rival Gigantes del Cibao while actively playing for Aguilas Cibaenas.
From a translated version of Dionisio Soldevilla’s article on MLB.com:
Tejada played for Cibao Aguilas in the Dominican Winter League and admitted earlier this month that three years ago bought the 72% stake of the company that ran the franchise for the city of San Francisco de Macoris.
In an unrelated matter, Tejada will also continue to serve the remaining 64 games on his 105-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball last season after he tested positive twice for Adderall. Tejada failed to renew his exemption, which expired on April 15.
In 167 plate appearances with the Royals in 2013, Tejada posted a .695 OPS. He is currently a free agent.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)