Padres and Indians both in hot pursuit of Joaquin Benoit

Dec 13, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT

joaquin benoit getty Getty Images

Both the Padres and the Indians have offered two-year deals and at least $14 million in total to free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. Passan’s source close to the Padres suggests the team’s deal could also include a third-year option.

Should Benoit reach such an agreement with either club, he would become the ninth reliever to earn a multi-year deal this off-season. The $14 million total is in the same neighborhood of the deals signed by Joe Nathan, Boone Logan, Joe Smith, and Javier Lopez. While the Padres and Indians have been the most aggressive in pursuit of Benoit, the Cubs, Mariners, and Yankees also showed interest.

1. slaugin - Dec 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That seems ridiculous to me.

2. icanspeel - Dec 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I am pretty sure that is wrong… I think its 7 per year. In fact I am positive the Padres would never pay a reliever 14 mill per year lol

• Bill Baer - Dec 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

In retrospect, I believe you may be correct. Thanks for catching that. Editing now.

• leylandshospicenurse - Dec 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I love how you read the comments and corrected your post. You don’t just post stuff and go on to the next. Good work.

• gloccamorra - Dec 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I think you can add Cleveland, and maybe 20-22 other clubs!

3. leylandshospicenurse - Dec 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I was about to say, and the Phillies can’t find a taker for Jonathan Papelbon

4. nymets4ever - Dec 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Probably the only time in recorded history where San Diego vs Cleveland has been a tough choice.

5. markofapro - Dec 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Man, this guy sucked when he played for the Rangers

6. xpensivewinos - Dec 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

So let me get this straight. The Padres just gave Gregerson away for that stiff Seth Smith, now they’re going to pay Benoit how much to do what Gregerson was doing?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet