Reds, Twins in the lead for Bronson Arroyo

Dec 13, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT

Bronson Arroyo Getty Images

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting that the field of applicants in the running for Bronson Arroyo‘s services has been narrowed down to four teams: the Reds and Twins, and two unnamed teams. ESPN’s Buster Olney reported earlier that the Reds will offer Arroyo a one-year deal. As for the Twins, Heyman notes that they’re still talking with Mike Pelfrey as well.

Despite his reputation as a slop-thrower, Arroyo has been quite effective in recent years, posting a sub-4.00 ERA in four of the past five seasons. He turns 37 years old on February 24, so a multi-year deal is a bit of a risk, though to his credit, he has appeared to get better rather than worse with age.

1. johnnyb1976 - Dec 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Some reds fans hate Arroyo because he gives up so many home runs, but I think if Bronson goes somewhere else the reds and the fanbase will miss him badly.

2. luisrivasbuttocks - Dec 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I think I would like the move for my twinkles on a 1 year deal. I am especially rooting for the move so I don’t have to watch two more years of Mike Pelfrey. The larger park I think could negate the NL to AL thing.

3. albertmn - Dec 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Would love to see the Twins sign him, and two years wouldn’t be a worry. I would much rather have Arroyo than Pelfrey. I know the Twins already added Nolasco and Hughes, but neither of them are guaranteed to be great (especially Hughes). But, I feel that Nolasco, Arroyo, and Correia would be solid innings eaters and you hope you get the good Hughes and that Deduno can get healthy. Then, fill in with the young guys only if you need them. The last few years the Twins had to count on too many young guys, and they not only pitched poorly too often, but wore out the bullpen. Having 3 or 4 innings eaters would make the bullpen that much more effective.

4. jm91rs - Dec 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM

They aren’t starting the season with 6 starters so if the reds sign arroyo id look for bailey to be traded.

• metalhead65 - Dec 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM

that would be a great move for the reds. getting red of a hard throwing pitcher just entering his prime for a guy who can lose it at any minute in a game. and if you are reds you know it’s true on the rare occasion when he goes 6 innings and is pitching great the lead off guy will get on and it’s all over,seriously there is no stopping it until he is taken out everyone will score that bats. he was great during his time but what good is 200 innings when he gives you 2 good starts a month? maybe price will be smarter than dusty and not send him out for that 1 more inning or will take him out after he goes 5 or at least has the sense to have someone warming up if he does.

5. whodeytn - Dec 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I hope the Reds let him go. I want to see a rotation of Latos/Cueto/Cingrani/Bailey/Leake

6. junglerat524 - Dec 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Who’s your injury backup then?

• contraryguy - Dec 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

The Reds didn’t really have one last year. Greg Reynolds started a handful of games, but I think he’s been let go to free agency. So an emergency start might fall to either Manny Parra (who used to be a starter), Sam Lecure, or a quick AAA call up. Nick Christiani had a brief call-up, maybe he’ll make the roster.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3970)