Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that free agent starter Gavin Floyd is close to signing a one-year deal with an unspecified team. Floyd, who was born in Annapolis, met with Orioles reps at the winter meetings but Encina specifies that the unknown team is not the Orioles.
Floyd went on the disabled list after his fifth start of the 2013 season on April 27, eventually undergoing surgery to repair his flexor tendon and elbow in early May. From 2008-12, he established himself as a dependable back-of-the-rotation starter, compiling a 4.12 ERA and making at least 29 starts in each of the five seasons.
With the one-year deal, Floyd will have the chance to rebuild his value and make a play for a multi-year deal next off-season. He turns 31 years old on January 27.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)