Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that free agent starter Gavin Floyd is close to signing a one-year deal with an unspecified team. Floyd, who was born in Annapolis, met with Orioles reps at the winter meetings but Encina specifies that the unknown team is not the Orioles.
Floyd went on the disabled list after his fifth start of the 2013 season on April 27, eventually undergoing surgery to repair his flexor tendon and elbow in early May. From 2008-12, he established himself as a dependable back-of-the-rotation starter, compiling a 4.12 ERA and making at least 29 starts in each of the five seasons.
With the one-year deal, Floyd will have the chance to rebuild his value and make a play for a multi-year deal next off-season. He turns 31 years old on January 27.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)