Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that free agent starter Gavin Floyd is close to signing a one-year deal with an unspecified team. Floyd, who was born in Annapolis, met with Orioles reps at the winter meetings but Encina specifies that the unknown team is not the Orioles.
Floyd went on the disabled list after his fifth start of the 2013 season on April 27, eventually undergoing surgery to repair his flexor tendon and elbow in early May. From 2008-12, he established himself as a dependable back-of-the-rotation starter, compiling a 4.12 ERA and making at least 29 starts in each of the five seasons.
With the one-year deal, Floyd will have the chance to rebuild his value and make a play for a multi-year deal next off-season. He turns 31 years old on January 27.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 0
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (95)