Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that free agent starter Gavin Floyd is close to signing a one-year deal with an unspecified team. Floyd, who was born in Annapolis, met with Orioles reps at the winter meetings but Encina specifies that the unknown team is not the Orioles.
Floyd went on the disabled list after his fifth start of the 2013 season on April 27, eventually undergoing surgery to repair his flexor tendon and elbow in early May. From 2008-12, he established himself as a dependable back-of-the-rotation starter, compiling a 4.12 ERA and making at least 29 starts in each of the five seasons.
With the one-year deal, Floyd will have the chance to rebuild his value and make a play for a multi-year deal next off-season. He turns 31 years old on January 27.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40