Dec 13, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun is reporting that free agent starter Gavin Floyd is close to signing a one-year deal with an unspecified team. Floyd, who was born in Annapolis, met with Orioles reps at the winter meetings but Encina specifies that the unknown team is not the Orioles.
Floyd went on the disabled list after his fifth start of the 2013 season on April 27, eventually undergoing surgery to repair his flexor tendon and elbow in early May. From 2008-12, he established himself as a dependable back-of-the-rotation starter, compiling a 4.12 ERA and making at least 29 starts in each of the five seasons.
With the one-year deal, Floyd will have the chance to rebuild his value and make a play for a multi-year deal next off-season. He turns 31 years old on January 27.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)