Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect”

Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Robinson Cano Getty Images

The divorce is over and each of them has found a new love, but Robinson Cano and the Yankees have still decided it’s worth trading barbs about “disrespect” in the past 24 hours.

Here’s Robinson Cano at yesterday’s press conference when asked about his dealings with the Yankees before accepting the Mariners’ $240 million offer:

“I didn’t feel respect. I didn’t get respect from them . . . I was hoping they would come up with a better offer. My goal was to stay there . . . I didn’t see any effort [from the Yankees].”

Know what? I get that. Cano is absolutely wrong for talking publicly about it and doing so gets him absolutely nowhere, but I understand why he may feel that way. The Yankees didn’t even really pretend to be particularly interested. Not saying they should have been — at the price Cano was reportedly demanding it made no sense for New York — but there has developed a certain convention around such high-profile athletes in which everyone at least publicly talks about how badly they want to stay together, etc. and that didn’t happen here. And star athletes are high strung and all of that. So, again, Cano shouldn’t have said this, but I can see where it’s coming from.

Just this morning Yankees President Randy Levine shot back, taking issue with Cano’s claim that the Yankees did not treat him with respect. He said they were more than happy to make a $175 million offer and always treated Cano with respect, but that ultimately it was simply a matter of it not making any kind of sense for the Yankees to commit to a ten-year contract given how those deals have gone for them in the past. He doesn’t blame Cano for taking Seattle’s offer as it was clearly better. Levine added that, rather than disrespect, he thinks Robinson Cano is “very disappointed” he no longer plays for the Yankees.

Now: everyone move on.

105 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bobwheel - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Seriously, Robbie, get over it and move on. Levine handled it the right way.

• El Bravo - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

This is true, but I don’t fault someone for answering a question honestly either. It’s not like Cano brought up the topic, but we all know the press was going to ask such a question.

• paperlions - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I do fault someone for thinking that money and years = respect.

The team that offers a FA the most money doesn’t have more respect for his abilities or for his person, they just offered more money. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Pujols played the same “respect” card when StL wouldn’t offer him a crazy deal….they actually did offer him a crazy deal, but LAA offered him a crazier deal. Making bad business or baseball decisions isn’t a sign of respect….they are just bad decisions.

• El Bravo - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I agree on that, but I don’t have an issue with an athlete (not a scholar mind you) answering honestly a question raised by a reporter that will obviously provoke such a response.

• paperlions - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Me either. If he would have said, my goal is to make as much money as possible and winning and tradition take a back seat to that….I’d have no problem. Considering the restricted market players are exposed (i.e. how horribly under-paid they are) prior to reaching FA….I wouldn’t blame any of them for taking every dime they could get once they get there…but like you said, be honest about it. In fact, it would crack me up to hear a player talk honestly about how screwed by the system they are until they hit FA.

• bigharold - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“Levine handled it the right way.”

That’s the scary part, … Randy “Hyperbole” Levine was the voice of reason.

I wish ANYONE would disrespect me to the tune of $175 mil.

• 18thstreet - Dec 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Let me know if you have any skills that are worth that in a free market. Because I sure don’t.

• bigharold - Dec 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM

“Let me know if you have any skills that are worth that in a free market.”

If I did I wouldn’t be wishing for it. Instead I need to work for a living, .. like just about every other human on the planet.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

phuck Randy Levine, he has done nothing to bring the last 5 championships to the Yankees, he’s just as annoying a Charles Schumer and they never miss a opportunity to get on camera.
      I have no problem with Cano saying what he did, he has every right to discuss his career and he doesn’t need to get the ok from Craig or anyone else, I don’t know why sports bloggers and reporters fell they have a right to tell a athlete he can’t comment about something that happens in his career, maybe Craig should take advice from Cano concerning his blogging career.

• bigharold - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

“I have no problem with Cano saying what he did, he has every right to discuss his career..”

The problem with Cano talking about “respect” is first of all $175 mil is hell of an offer and about what he was worth to the Yankees. He was worth more to the Mariners because they needed the big signing. If he insist on playing the “respect” card then he also leaves himself open to be called a greedy bastard. So maybe it’s in his best interest if not to just shut up at least be a bit more grown up about it.

“I don’t know why sports bloggers and reporters fell they have a right to tell a athlete ..”

Nobodies tell anybody anything. They are offering their opinion, .. which what we ALL do here. Just like you now. The whole point of this site is just that, .. right?

Cano got the contract he wanted, .. the Yankees avoided another asinine contract, .. everybody wins. Lets move on.

• stex52 - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Bigharold, I may disagree with you on a fair number of posts. But you pretty much nailed it for me here.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

bigharold, Cano did nothing wrong, he has every right to take the money and he has every right to comment on his career, he never signed away that right and this is America.

Craig stated he shouldn’t say anything, why, based on what reason.

• stex52 - Dec 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Mainly we should move on because those of us who don’t live in NYC are getting bored with it getting hashed out continuously in the press.

• bigharold - Dec 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM

fanofevilempire,

I did say Cano did anything wrong signing the Mariners because he didn’t. But, when he talks about respect he needs to be more cognizant that he leaves himself open. He needs to be aware that it is merely his perception, and I would say erroneous too, that the Yankees weren’t respecting him. Most reasonable people would agree that considering the dearth of suitors, $175 mil and seven years was a huge offer by the Yankees. If he wants to go down that road of “perception” then he needs to be ready to have his motives questioned as well. Because there are a lot of people, .. not just Yankee fans, .. that think he took the highest offer without consideration as to whether he’d ever see the playoffs again. But, hey, .. $65 mil is $65 mil.

I’m all for players getting the contract they want. I’ve stated repeatedly that what happens on the field is baseball and the rest is in fact business. I merely think that Cano, being in the majors as long as he has been, .. making this decision based clearly on the economics he should have finessed it more.

The Yankees so called lack of respect and his “greedy bastardness” could easily be seen as two sides of the same coin. Oh, .. and since he’s signed the contract, .. does it really mater any longer? Let move on already.

2. psuorioles - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM

“Yankee” fans will love this…

3. jfk69 - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Cano is confusing money and respect.

• okcyankeefan - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I don’t think he is confusing money and respect. I think he has equated more money with more respect. In his mind, the Mariners treated him with 65 million more degrees of “respect” than did the Yankees.

• jfk69 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Thank you for making my point.

• mmeyer3387 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

JFK, I agree with your statement that Cano is confusing money and respect. Cano needs to be realistic about himself; most teams and fans view him as one of the games best all-around players and the best hitter that was on the market this year. However, most teams don’t want to take the risk of giving a ten year, 300 hundred million contract. Furthermore, no team values any player to such a contract. Yet, many still view him as a great player, just not worth such an unrealistic contract.Cano, get over it and move on.

4. karlkolchak - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Jeez, Cano, are we working stiffs who’ll make way less money in our lifetimes than you’ll be making in just one season supposed to feel SORRY for you? Take your millions and STFU already.

• mmeyer3387 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

He just doesn’t seem to realize that he sounds like a man with an out of control ego. Us fans love the game and respect those with this God given talent to the game the right way. That is what we respect, not a grown man that makes hundreds of millions of dollars and wines.

• karlkolchak - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM

“…and wines.”

I realize that was a typo, but it couldn’t be a more perfect one given the subject matter. :)

• fanofevilempire - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

do you need some cheese for your wine, if you don’t like what athletes have to say wtf are you listening or reading, get lost!

5. dartmouthstevens - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Cano chose money over a team with a winning tradition. I suspect there is some remorse over that. (I’m a RedSox fan). Some players choose winning over money. Enjoy the choice Robbie. It is the last one of your career except for retirement.

• karlkolchak - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

“Some players choose winning over money.”

Name one. Last I checked there are now middle reklievers and platoon player signing 8 figure deals.

• paperlions - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Carlos Beltran

He’s done it twice. Each of his last contracts he did not sign with the highest offer.

Pedroia. You really think he couldn’t have got a LOT more if he went to FA?

The list is longer than you think.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Technically three times, if you want to count Beltran approaching the Yankees saying he’d take less money than the Mets were offering to sign with them. And unfortunately the Yanks balked.

• bigharold - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

” And unfortunately the Yanks balked.”

True in that he’d talk less but at the time, as I remember, the Yankees would have been hit with like a 40% tax for being over the luxury threshold. So, he’d have got less, .. good for him, .. but the Yankees would have in fact paid more than what the Mets paid.

• stex52 - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I think the Yankees made the right decision at the time. Carlos was a very good, but not great player at the time. They missed his three year A_S run, but he was a big overpay at the time.

Not so much now.

• stex52 - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

And subtract one time where he went for more money.

. If he had gone with the Astros in 2005, he would have gone to the WS. With an extra power bat, the results might have been quite different.

Admittedly part of my problem is with the ethics of how Boras handled that deal. But Carlos had a chance with a championship team and jumped for more money.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

That’s the year I’m referring to. His agent apparently approached the Yanks and said he’d take a pretty big discount to sign with them over the Mets. The Yanks didn’t want to offer the contract.

• stex52 - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’ve heard the story a lot on this site. Any clear evidence it’s true? His agent was Boras, after all.

• bigharold - Dec 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

” Any clear evidence it’s true?”

It was reported in most of the NY papers that he would have taken the same number of years for $100 mil vs the $119 mil he took from the Mets. Torre made the idiotic remark that Beltran wanted to come to the Yankees to ” hide amongst the trees” or some such nonsense.

Also, at the time Bernie Williams was a Boras client too which complicated things.

• dartmouthstevens - Feb 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Pedoria. Choose half the money to stay with Boston.

6. davidbrentfan - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

“I didn’t feel respect. I didn’t get respect from them . . . I was hoping they would come up with a better offer. My goal was to stay there . . . I didn’t see any effort [from the Yankees].”

Maybe because you immediately turned off about 28 of 30 MLB teams with your ridiculous initial $310 million contract statement? Right..They didn’t give you any ‘respect’. Already paying you about $58 million, then offering you an additional $175 million to play into your late 30s is obviously no ‘respect’. Sure…

7. billybawl - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Always funny when pro athletes — especially richly compensated ones — complain about a lack of respect. But I agree to the extent that the Yankees’ contract to Jeter includes a “respect” premium in excess of his value on the field. Cano’s offer was closer to his performance value.

• yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

What are you talking about? $175 Million for 7 years is $25million each year, it is in the same ball park as 240 million for 10 years. It is only about the number of years.

Just name me one 10 year contract that has EVER really worked out? Lets look at Arod, Albert Pujols, Joey Votto? The Yankees have gone the 10 year contract route and it doesn’t work. As a Yankee fan or even as a baseball baseball fan when do you think that the 24 Million paid to Cano will be the albatross on the Mariners neck? It took 1 year for Pujol’s contract to be an albatross, Fielder signed a 9 year contract and his is already an albatross. Arod’s has been an albatross for 3 years.

Respect is a two way street. 25 million each year for 7 years is RESPECT. I don’t blame Robbie for taking 24 Million a year for 10 years. It is a lot of money to turn down but it has NOTHING to do with respect. It was the dollars, nothing more and nothing less. This is why the sportswriters will NEVER let go of this stupid comment about RESPECT.

• davidbrentfan - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

The first 10 year contract for Rodriguez was fine, and he performed to that contract from 2001-2009. His only down year was 2010, which would have been the last year of that deal, when he hit .270/.340/.510 30 HR/4SB. It’s not his fault that Levine, over Cashman’s objections, demanded that he be resigned to another 10 year deal after he opted out in 2007.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Votto’s deal hasn’t even kicked in yet, and when you mention 10 year deals, there are so few that the sample size isn’t worth discussing. However, as davidbrentfan mentioned, Arod’s first deal was a steal for ownership as he far outproduced what he was paid.

If you are looking at 7+ year deals, most of the ones that were signed when the player was on the correct side of 30 worked out, the ones on the other side didn’t.

• yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Interesting comment but Arods first contract with Texas. It was a 10 year contract with a player option after 7 years. It never went the full 10 years. He signed his 10 year deal with the Yankees in 2008.

• pftfan - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Jeter’s 10 year/$189M contract he signed as a 26 year-old actually worked out really well for the Yanks.

It was the stop-gap contracts the Yanks gave him after age 36 that didn’t work out too well, but if you’re the Yanks in a brand-new stadium, did you really have the option of letting your biggest star go over a couple of million?

• yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

billybawl, in case you don’t know Jeters contract is millions less than it used to be, it is 12 million in 2014. Jeters Jersey sales and memorabilia sales would make up most of his salary. He is the Captain and is a first ballot HOF for sure, not a maybe like Cano. Yopu can’t make a stupid comment like you made without being called out.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Jeter had a $9.5M player option that the Yanks re-signed him to $12M plus incentives. I’m sure that’s what billybawl is referring to.

• billybawl - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

What church said. The Yankees opened up their wallets when they didn’t need to, to “respect” Jeter. I’m not saying it was a bad call. Only making the point that in some way Cano can point to an example where the Yankees “respected” others more than him. It’s irrelevant, but I think it was a good move on the Yankees’ part, and a contract the M’s will regret almost immediately.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

billybawl, your comment is especially stupid when you add in the fact that Jeter would have gotten $9.5 million from the previously contacted player option. The Yanks paid him $12 million on a new 1yr contract. Now that may seem like an extra $2.5 million, but because the Yanks have been looking at how to get under the luxury cap, this reduces the AAV and could save the Yanks FAR more than $2.5 million. All this not even mentioning how Cano’s 8th-10th years ($72 million?) will compare to “value on the field”. Would you like another try at Reality 101?

• billybawl - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

And it looks like the Yankees are going to blast through that luxury cap anyway. One could also make a strong argument — made by many others here and elsewhere — that Jeter at $9.5M or $12M is compensating him for his past service, aka “respect”. Your point about the 8-10th years is consistent with the point I made. Never said Cano deserved “respect” or should have gotten that contract.

• yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Lets talk about the second best second baseman in Baseball, Dustin Pedroia. IN 2014 he will make 12.5 Million. Nobody on the Redsox will make 20 Million, nobody. If Pedroia is worth 12.5 million then what is Cano really worth. Lets look at the numbers for last year.
        Pedroia, BA .301, 9 HR, 84 RBI’s 2013
        Cano, BA .314, 27 HR, 107 RBI’s 2013

LIfetime
        Pedroia, .302, HR 99, RBI 493, 7 years in BB also a MVP Total hit 1218

Cano, . 309 HR 204, RBI 822, 9 Years in BB, total hits 1649

Point being is Cano makes twice the salary that Pedroia makes, is he worth it? Read this article to see the loyalty that Pedroia has for the Red Sox.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

You need to stop right here as it’s not an apples to apples comparison. One, Pedroia was 2 years removed from FA. He had zero leverage in getting a new deal, so it was basically take this contract or no dice. Two, if Pedroia had hit FA, he would have received a lot more money than what the Sox offered.

Now let’s look at your stat breakdown. You choose one rate stat (BA) which is one of the worst you could pick. Then you pick HR and RBI, of which Cano has more than doubled one and has 67% more in the second. I’d say that means he’s worth double if he’s producing double.

And the MVP award. Pedroia won his MVP in one of the worst offensive years in the AL. Look at his stat line:

.326/.376/.493 – 123 OPS+, .377 wOBA, 127 wRC+; 17 HR, 118 R, 83 RBI, 50 BB; 6.9 rWAR/6.5 fWAR

Now this is Cano’s AVERAGE for the last 5 years:

.314/.369/.530 – 137 OPS+, .384 wOBA, 138 wRC+; 28 HR, 99 R, 103 RBI, 50 BB; 6.9 rWAR/5.9 fWAR

Pedroia is a great player, and while I think he is a bit overrated defensively, he’s clearly #2 behind Cano as a 2b. The last 4 years have shown it.

• yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Let me see if I can get this right. Is Cano worth twice the salary that Pedroia makes? The answer is NO WAY! Dustin plays with heart and is an inspiration and considering that he is 5′ft 8′ 165 lbs, I’d much rather have him at 12.5 million than Robbie at 24 Million. Just my personal opinion. I’m not taking anything away from Robbie, He is a great player, not a leader, but a great player.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

You’re missing the entire point. Pedroia wasn’t a FA. It’s akin to saying, Mike Trout is the best player in baseball. He’s only getting paid $500K. Why should cano get 50x that amount? He isn’t 50x the player Trout is.

And Cano has been much better than Pedroia the last few years.

8. hammerhead5573 - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

What a surprise. Someone who is making tons of money now feels disrespected. STFU.

9. nymets4ever - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black…Cano disrespects the very game he plays with his blatant disregard for hustle.

• seattlej - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Brian McCann? Is that you?!

10. jb8588 - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So in other words…the Yankees were disrespectful because they actually used some sense and didn’t hand out another massive, overpriced long-term to an aging player and didn’t want to come close to the laughable demands from Cano & Jay-Z? lol.

11. davidbrentfan - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Haha, he’ll probably be miserable in Seattle within 3 years, while hitting around .285/.350/.460/23 HR, and missing the playoffs. Constantly on an airplane due to Seattle’s location, rainy/cloudy all the time (I’m sure he will love that, being Dominican), very small Dominican community, thousands of additional miles from the Dominican Republic, the pressure of an extremely bloated contract, far, far away from the NYC lifestyle that he loves so much.

• cackalackyank - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I agree with you, except those extra mile pass pretty quickly when you can buy your own jet. Just sayin.

12. lpd1964 - Dec 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

It’s funny how Cano talks about disrespect, how about respecting the game you play by running out ground balls and stop posing when you hit a homerun, what a dick.

13. uyf1950 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Cano needs to stop pretending it’s about respect. If I may be allowed to borrow something from another blog site “It’s About The Money Stupid”. Respect is a two way street and it’s something Cano doesn’t think he should give others. Cano is perhaps the only person that with his comments could make Randy Levine seem like he deserves your sympathy.. Move on Robby time for you to take your act to Seattle.

14. metrocritical - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

For teenage girls, sex = love. For pro athletes, respect = money.In rare occasions, an athlete realizes he actually likes team, enjoys winning and knows that making tens of millions per year is enough. For Cano, he’s getting his money but the more he talks the more respect he is losing. He chased respect all the way to the Pacific Northwest but will he find true love?

• realgone2 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Great analogy!!

• hojo20 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I like sex.

15. davidbrentfan - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

“…but there has developed a certain convention around such high-profile athletes in which everyone at least publicly talks about how badly they want to stay together, etc. and that didn’t happen here. ”

Haha, well then good for the Yankees for breaking with the ridiculous ‘convention’ by not being phonies about the situation.

16. phillysports1 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Cano don’t care what anyone says, he’s RICH forever . Get over it guys stop worrying about him !!

• stex52 - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

This ^^^^^^.

17. jfk69 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I have a feeling that later in his life when The HOF don’t come calling. He will then understand the difference between money and respect. No slight intended to Seattle and their fans.
    He can always prove me wrong. Somehow it just all might work out for him. But his back in the day run around NYC buddy Melky Cabrerra leads me to a different conclusion.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Melky isn’t 1/10th the player Cano is, nor does being in Seattle have anything to do with whether Cano will make the HoF.

18. m3dman3 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Jay Z looks like a camel.

19. jfk69 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I once asked a shoe shine man why he didn’t move uptown to a more prosperous location and double his money.
    He simply said. WHY? I have been here 15 years and I AM HAPPY.
    Case closed.

20. realgone2 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

In 3 years he’ll demand a trade because the Mariners will be cellar dwelling. The other scenario being the Mariners flipping him to some GM dumb enough to take him. Just like the Tigers with Prince. Realizing they made a stupid move signing him to that ridiculous contract.

• cackalackyank - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

It might not even take 3 years, just ask Cliff Lee how fast the Mariners will flip an FA signing.

21. yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Napoli’s $16-million salary will be the highest on the Red Sox in 2014.

Without a $20-million-per-year contract, the Red Sox have the flexibility to sign multiple talented players at competitive salaries.

A lot of that has to do with Dustin Pedroia, who will make $12.5 million in 2014.

While Robinson Cano recently signed a 10-year contract with the Mariners reportedly worth $240 million, Pedroia’s contract leaves the Red Sox in a more flexible position to add talent. That theory could be what Pedroia had in mind when he signed the contract extension this year.

“I’m a pretty loyal guy,” Pedroia said in July. “I love being here. I live and die by this team. It’s important to me to be here my whole time.”

If the Red Sox instead had to look for a player of Pedroia’s talent on the free agent market, the cost could skyrocket.

Again, Cano’s contract is worth about $24 million per season.

Comparing Pedroia’s contract extension to Cano’s contract earned on the free agent market is hardly fair. Arguably, these are the two best second basemen in the world. And considering Pedroia signed his second extension that will that will keep him in Boston through 2021, he’s made it very clear he has no intentions of considering another team. So before diving into the discussion, it’s important to remember that this is simply a game played in jest.

Here’s the question: If Pedroia and Cano’s contract situations were reversed, and it was Pedroia on the open market and Cano locked up by his hometown team, would Pedroia have earned a similar contract?

Some agents and team executives presented with the question at the Winter Meetings would rather not compare the two players, which seemed like an understandable decision.

“I don’t answer those types of questions,” said Scott Boras, who represented Cano until April, when Cano left for Roc Nation Sports, led by recording artist Jay-Z. “Dustin Pedroia is a professional.”

• davidbrentfan - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Haha, well Pedroia will go down as a Boston legend who cared about his team, sacrificed for his team, and was a true team player. Cano will go down as simply a mercenary who only cared about his payday.

And Pedroia will still be filthy rich.

I’d much rather be in Pedroia’s situation.

• yournuts - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Me too and I am a Yankee fan who has gained so much respect for Pedroia, or is it I lost so much respect for Cano? Probably both. I mean I don’t blame Cano 240 Million is a lot of money, but he should just keep his mouth shut.

22. sisisisisisisi - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It was not about the money

But he was hoping for a better offer

hahahahahaha

Sure, we believe you

23. mj2sexay - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

See where its coming from? So you understand when athletes act like entitled babies?

Someone PLEASE disrespect me to the tune of 175 million over 7 years.

24. albanyjints - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Robbie has to understand that, unfortunately for him, the Yankees have finally woken up and will no longer give 10 contracts to 30 year olds. He has a right to demand big dollars and they have a right to say no thank you. He is a very good player, but he’s just not worth the money Seattle was willing to pay. He has never carried a team on his back like the greatest have. If he really wanted to stay with the Yankees, he should have lowered his 10 year demand to 7 years. Don’t blame him for getting the dollars and length of contract he wanted, but glad the Yankees didn’t bite. As someone said, he took the money and jogged to Seattle.

25. psousa1 - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Another athlete who went to the Krusty the Klown school of respect – “What good is respect if you don’t have the moolah to back it up!”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet