Dec 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Mike Pelfrey was awful for the Twins this year, going 5-13 with a 5.19 ERA in 29 starts, but LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Minnesota has made him a two-year offer to return.
According to Neal the deal would be worth around $12 million, which … well, as a Twins fan I’m pretty grossed out right now.
Pelfrey will be another year removed from elbow surgery, but the problem is that he was never much good before the injury with a 4.36 ERA and measly 5.1 strikeouts per nine innings for the Mets. It’s great that the Twins are finally making an effort to build a major league-caliber rotation, but I’d rely on various young arms before turning back to Pelfrey and the idea of a two-year deal seems all kinds of misguided.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)