Dec 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Mike Pelfrey was awful for the Twins this year, going 5-13 with a 5.19 ERA in 29 starts, but LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Minnesota has made him a two-year offer to return.
According to Neal the deal would be worth around $12 million, which … well, as a Twins fan I’m pretty grossed out right now.
Pelfrey will be another year removed from elbow surgery, but the problem is that he was never much good before the injury with a 4.36 ERA and measly 5.1 strikeouts per nine innings for the Mets. It’s great that the Twins are finally making an effort to build a major league-caliber rotation, but I’d rely on various young arms before turning back to Pelfrey and the idea of a two-year deal seems all kinds of misguided.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 9
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)