Dec 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez made an appearance yesterday at a charity event hosted by Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. His contentious arbitration hearing against MLB came to a close last month, so he’s currently waiting on independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to decide whether his 211-game suspension will be upheld. With a ruling expected early next month, Rodriguez told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he’s “optimistic” that the process will have a favorable outcome.
“I feel good. I have limits what I can talk about. I look forward to Horowitz making a decision and putting this behind me and getting back to hitting in the middle of the lineup,” Rodriguez said.
“I’m optimistic, hopefully. It’s been a very tough several months. Very tough year. I’m optimistic that [a decision] will come soon,” he said. “We can get it behind us and take all the stuff off the back pages and focus on playing baseball and all great things that are happening with the game.
“Make a decision, whatever happens, let’s move forward.”
Rodriguez scored a key victory this week when a judge ruled that his P.R. guy won’t have to testify against him — at least for now — so he has reason to feel pretty good at the moment. Still, A-Rod and his lawyers have already made it clear that he’s prepared to take MLB to federal court if Horowitz doesn’t rule in his favor.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 76
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)