Alex Rodriguez “optimistic” about case against MLB

Dec 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

5cc8d64cdd16fee1b8a3cf08c7467210 Getty Images

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez made an appearance yesterday at a charity event hosted by Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. His contentious arbitration hearing against MLB came to a close last month, so he’s currently waiting on independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to decide whether his 211-game suspension will be upheld. With a ruling expected early next month, Rodriguez told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he’s “optimistic” that the process will have a favorable outcome.

“I feel good. I have limits what I can talk about. I look forward to Horowitz making a decision and putting this behind me and getting back to hitting in the middle of the lineup,” Rodriguez said.

“Make a decision, whatever happens, let’s move forward.”

Rodriguez scored a key victory this week when a judge ruled that his P.R. guy won’t have to testify against him — at least for now — so he has reason to feel pretty good at the moment. Still, A-Rod and his lawyers have already made it clear that he’s prepared to take MLB to federal court if Horowitz doesn’t rule in his favor.

1. allday420ap - Dec 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

A-rods the prototypical yankee. A complete jabroni.

• mick2014 - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Pinche A-rod!! Se la jala el guey! Translation:F’in A-rod, he’s always jerkin it!

2. davidbrentfan - Dec 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I hope he gets a Zero game suspension.

• markbarnett1961 - Dec 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I hope he gets a life suspension

3. Old Gator - Dec 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

This whole fiasco has been as close as MLB has ever gotten to one of the old National Lampoon special issues, or maybe what the Firesign Theater would have come up with if they’d done a baseball album. I will be truly sorry when it’s all over with, assuming I even live that long.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Deputy Dan wants your Biogen. records NOW! A-rod should hire Nick Danger to investigate.

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Brouhaha? Hahahahahah….

4. bigharold - Dec 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

““I’m optimistic, hopefully. It’s been a very tough several months. Very tough year. I’m optimistic that [a decision] will come soon,” he said. “We can get it behind us and take all the stuff off the back pages and focus on playing baseball and all great things that are happening with the game.”

Did Cashman, Selig or A-Rod say that because anyone of them could have it so vague.

MLB thought they had a case they should have just handed him his 50 games suspension and we’d be done with this by now. Hopefully whoever thought character assassination and this third rate Elmore Leonard “investigation” was a good strategy will retire along with Bud. MLB, .. snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Personally, “I’m optimistic, hopefully.” to be about a half a foot taller with a head full of black hair, like the old days, by St Patrick’s Day, .. but I’m not betting the ranch on it.

5. mikejr80 - Dec 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Liars & cheaters run baseball now. I won’t be surprised if all the tough talk Selig has uttered is complete BS. They love steroids. It fattens their pockets.

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Liars and cheater run baseball now? Buy some microwave popcorn, kick back and watch Eight Men Out tonight.

6. deedee2die4 - Dec 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I’d like to see A-Rod back in pinstripes in ’14 and for the rest of his contract. Have him paid every cent that Boss Steinkbreeder signed him for. Having A-Rod pass Willie Mays will be great too, the Yankee fans can take great pride in that. The Steinkbreeder kids and Yankee fans deserve A-Rod, his rep and his ENTIRE contract.

7. bruininnh1984 - Dec 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

as much as i hate a-rod and want him out of the game, the yankees deserve to have to pay him every cent that they owe him

8. pisano - Dec 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I wouldn’t be overly confident if I were Arod, while I don’t think he’ll get the 211game suspension MLB wants, I also don’t think he’ll get a 50 game suspension. I have a feeling it’s going to be 100 game suspension. We’ll know around the first week or two in Jan.

9. josephmacera - Dec 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I can’t wait to see the information of this case once it becomes public record when it goes to federal court.

10. spc7ray - Dec 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Simply put I think Arod is going to win the whole thing-I don’t like Arod-Most people don’t-But I hate Bud Selig and the Yankee Brass–So I want him to win

11. mtr75 - Dec 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

MLB has been at least as dubious and devious as Alex has been during this whole thing. The JDA spells put what a first-time offensive calls for as far as penalties go, and it ain’t 211 games. Alex should be treated just like any other player, no better, no worse. And as far as the JDA goes, this was his first offense. It should have been 50 games, end of story.

12. joestemme - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

A-Roid can go F@CK himself with his optimism….

• mazblast - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

He probably wishes he could, since no one else matters in his mind.

13. mazblast - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

While I loathe the idea of the Yankees getting out from under even part of Rodriguez’ awful contract, I loathe him much more. I wish the arbitrator had the power to increase the suspension.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4975)