Dec 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez made an appearance yesterday at a charity event hosted by Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. His contentious arbitration hearing against MLB came to a close last month, so he’s currently waiting on independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to decide whether his 211-game suspension will be upheld. With a ruling expected early next month, Rodriguez told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he’s “optimistic” that the process will have a favorable outcome.
“I feel good. I have limits what I can talk about. I look forward to Horowitz making a decision and putting this behind me and getting back to hitting in the middle of the lineup,” Rodriguez said.
“I’m optimistic, hopefully. It’s been a very tough several months. Very tough year. I’m optimistic that [a decision] will come soon,” he said. “We can get it behind us and take all the stuff off the back pages and focus on playing baseball and all great things that are happening with the game.
“Make a decision, whatever happens, let’s move forward.”
Rodriguez scored a key victory this week when a judge ruled that his P.R. guy won’t have to testify against him — at least for now — so he has reason to feel pretty good at the moment. Still, A-Rod and his lawyers have already made it clear that he’s prepared to take MLB to federal court if Horowitz doesn’t rule in his favor.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)