Dec 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez made an appearance yesterday at a charity event hosted by Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. His contentious arbitration hearing against MLB came to a close last month, so he’s currently waiting on independent arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to decide whether his 211-game suspension will be upheld. With a ruling expected early next month, Rodriguez told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he’s “optimistic” that the process will have a favorable outcome.
“I feel good. I have limits what I can talk about. I look forward to Horowitz making a decision and putting this behind me and getting back to hitting in the middle of the lineup,” Rodriguez said.
“I’m optimistic, hopefully. It’s been a very tough several months. Very tough year. I’m optimistic that [a decision] will come soon,” he said. “We can get it behind us and take all the stuff off the back pages and focus on playing baseball and all great things that are happening with the game.
“Make a decision, whatever happens, let’s move forward.”
Rodriguez scored a key victory this week when a judge ruled that his P.R. guy won’t have to testify against him — at least for now — so he has reason to feel pretty good at the moment. Still, A-Rod and his lawyers have already made it clear that he’s prepared to take MLB to federal court if Horowitz doesn’t rule in his favor.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)