Dec 14, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
Many viewed Omar Infante as the most likely replacement for Robinson Cano, but that possibility is off the board now that he has reportedly agreed to a four-year, $30 million deal with the Royals. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago now wonders whether the Yankees will revisit the idea of trading for Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney, as the two clubs have had previous discussions.
Barney is coming off a horrendous season in which he batted just .208/.266/.303 with seven home runs and 41 RBI over 555 plate appearances. While the 28-year-old is considered a strong defender at second base, he’s the owner of a .628 career OPS. That’s only slightly better than Brendan Ryan (.619 career OPS). Not exactly ideal.
Barney wouldn’t cost much in a trade, but the Yankees will likely find more appealing alternatives in the free agent and trade markets. Assuming they want to keep Kelly Johnson in a utility role, they could sign Mark Ellis to play second base and bring back either Mark Reynolds or Eric Chavez as another option to play third.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)