Dec 14, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
Many viewed Omar Infante as the most likely replacement for Robinson Cano, but that possibility is off the board now that he has reportedly agreed to a four-year, $30 million deal with the Royals. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago now wonders whether the Yankees will revisit the idea of trading for Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney, as the two clubs have had previous discussions.
Barney is coming off a horrendous season in which he batted just .208/.266/.303 with seven home runs and 41 RBI over 555 plate appearances. While the 28-year-old is considered a strong defender at second base, he’s the owner of a .628 career OPS. That’s only slightly better than Brendan Ryan (.619 career OPS). Not exactly ideal.
Barney wouldn’t cost much in a trade, but the Yankees will likely find more appealing alternatives in the free agent and trade markets. Assuming they want to keep Kelly Johnson in a utility role, they could sign Mark Ellis to play second base and bring back either Mark Reynolds or Eric Chavez as another option to play third.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)