Dec 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
As Olney explains, the reason for this is because the Dodgers “believe increasingly” that free agent Juan Uribe could be headed elsewhere. Reports have linked him to the Marlins and White Sox in recent days. He was also mentioned as a possible first base option for the Rays, but that’s likely out now that the club has re-signed James Loney. It’s hard to believe that the Dodgers are actually serious about going with Young at third base, so perhaps this is a case of them leaking something to the media in hopes that it will get Uribe to make a decision. Otherwise, yikes.
Young, 37, hit .279/.335/.395 with eight home runs and 46 RBI over 565 plate appearances last season between the Phillies and Dodgers. He mostly played third base during his time with Philadelphia and defensive metrics weren’t very kind to him. Or the naked eye, for that matter. If Uribe signs elsewhere, the Dodgers could be better off moving Hanley Ramirez back to third base and signing Stephen Drew to play shortstop. However, there’s nothing to indicate that they are open to doing that.
UPDATE: Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com today that he is still hopeful of re-signing Uribe.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)