Dec 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
As Olney explains, the reason for this is because the Dodgers “believe increasingly” that free agent Juan Uribe could be headed elsewhere. Reports have linked him to the Marlins and White Sox in recent days. He was also mentioned as a possible first base option for the Rays, but that’s likely out now that the club has re-signed James Loney. It’s hard to believe that the Dodgers are actually serious about going with Young at third base, so perhaps this is a case of them leaking something to the media in hopes that it will get Uribe to make a decision. Otherwise, yikes.
Young, 37, hit .279/.335/.395 with eight home runs and 46 RBI over 565 plate appearances last season between the Phillies and Dodgers. He mostly played third base during his time with Philadelphia and defensive metrics weren’t very kind to him. Or the naked eye, for that matter. If Uribe signs elsewhere, the Dodgers could be better off moving Hanley Ramirez back to third base and signing Stephen Drew to play shortstop. However, there’s nothing to indicate that they are open to doing that.
UPDATE: Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com today that he is still hopeful of re-signing Uribe.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)