Dec 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
As Olney explains, the reason for this is because the Dodgers “believe increasingly” that free agent Juan Uribe could be headed elsewhere. Reports have linked him to the Marlins and White Sox in recent days. He was also mentioned as a possible first base option for the Rays, but that’s likely out now that the club has re-signed James Loney. It’s hard to believe that the Dodgers are actually serious about going with Young at third base, so perhaps this is a case of them leaking something to the media in hopes that it will get Uribe to make a decision. Otherwise, yikes.
Young, 37, hit .279/.335/.395 with eight home runs and 46 RBI over 565 plate appearances last season between the Phillies and Dodgers. He mostly played third base during his time with Philadelphia and defensive metrics weren’t very kind to him. Or the naked eye, for that matter. If Uribe signs elsewhere, the Dodgers could be better off moving Hanley Ramirez back to third base and signing Stephen Drew to play shortstop. However, there’s nothing to indicate that they are open to doing that.
UPDATE: Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com today that he is still hopeful of re-signing Uribe.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)