Dec 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
As Olney explains, the reason for this is because the Dodgers “believe increasingly” that free agent Juan Uribe could be headed elsewhere. Reports have linked him to the Marlins and White Sox in recent days. He was also mentioned as a possible first base option for the Rays, but that’s likely out now that the club has re-signed James Loney. It’s hard to believe that the Dodgers are actually serious about going with Young at third base, so perhaps this is a case of them leaking something to the media in hopes that it will get Uribe to make a decision. Otherwise, yikes.
Young, 37, hit .279/.335/.395 with eight home runs and 46 RBI over 565 plate appearances last season between the Phillies and Dodgers. He mostly played third base during his time with Philadelphia and defensive metrics weren’t very kind to him. Or the naked eye, for that matter. If Uribe signs elsewhere, the Dodgers could be better off moving Hanley Ramirez back to third base and signing Stephen Drew to play shortstop. However, there’s nothing to indicate that they are open to doing that.
UPDATE: Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com today that he is still hopeful of re-signing Uribe.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 111
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (114)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)