Dec 14, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The Marlins have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for free agent Juan Uribe in recent days, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald hears that the club continues to look at other options to play third base:
Seeking a third baseman, the Marlins are intrigued by free agent Casey McGehee, 31, who played in Japan this year and led his team to a championship by hitting .298 with 28 homers and 93 RBI.
He hit .217 with nine homers and 41 RBI for the Pirates and Yankees in 2012 but drove in 104 runs in 2010 and 67 in 2011. Wilson Betemit (.261, 12 homers in 2012, injured in 2013) also has been discussed as an option.
The Marlins want a third baseman with versatility, and McGehee and Betemit can play multiple positions.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)