Dec 14, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The Marlins have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for free agent Juan Uribe in recent days, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald hears that the club continues to look at other options to play third base:
Seeking a third baseman, the Marlins are intrigued by free agent Casey McGehee, 31, who played in Japan this year and led his team to a championship by hitting .298 with 28 homers and 93 RBI.
He hit .217 with nine homers and 41 RBI for the Pirates and Yankees in 2012 but drove in 104 runs in 2010 and 67 in 2011. Wilson Betemit (.261, 12 homers in 2012, injured in 2013) also has been discussed as an option.
The Marlins want a third baseman with versatility, and McGehee and Betemit can play multiple positions.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)