Dec 14, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the Red Sox announced yesterday that they have signed right-hander John Ely to a minor league contract. The deal also includes an invitation to major league spring training.
Ely missed the entire 2013 season while rehabbing from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery and was given his release by the Astros in November. The 27-year-old posted a 5.70 ERA and 92/51 K/BB ratio over 115 1/3 innings with the Dodgers from 2010-2012 and will likely serve as starting pitcher depth in Triple-A if healthy.
The Red Sox also announced that they have re-signed right-hander Miguel Celestino and infielder Brandon Snyder to minor league deals.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)