Dec 14, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the Red Sox announced yesterday that they have signed right-hander John Ely to a minor league contract. The deal also includes an invitation to major league spring training.
Ely missed the entire 2013 season while rehabbing from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery and was given his release by the Astros in November. The 27-year-old posted a 5.70 ERA and 92/51 K/BB ratio over 115 1/3 innings with the Dodgers from 2010-2012 and will likely serve as starting pitcher depth in Triple-A if healthy.
The Red Sox also announced that they have re-signed right-hander Miguel Celestino and infielder Brandon Snyder to minor league deals.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)