Dec 14, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Fortunately for Dodgers fans, the idea of the team using Michael Young as their starting third baseman in 2014 was short-lived.
Such a scenario would have been considered a longshot back in March, as Uribe contributed very little in the first two years of his three-year, $21 million deal with the Dodgers, but he came out of nowhere in 2013 with the best season of his career. The 34-year-old hit .278/.331/.438 with 12 home runs and 50 RBI over 132 games while playing excellent defense at third base. Well-liked in the clubhouse, Uribe also came up big during the postseason, including a go-ahead homer during the NLDS against the Braves that pushed the Dodgers to the NLCS.
The Marlins, White Sox and Rays were among the other teams who reportedly showed interest in Uribe this winter. The Dodgers were said to be considering Young as an alternative at third base if Uribe signed elsewhere, but they were able to convince him to stick around.
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register confirms the report and adds that it’s worth around $15 million. The Dodgers were originally offering one year with an option, but pushed it to two years to get the deal done. .
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)