Dec 14, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
Mike Pelfrey posted an ugly 5.19 ERA (78 ERA+) in 152 2/3 innings this past season for the Twins and owns a 4.48 career ERA (90 career ERA+) in 1,049 major league frames. But the Minnesota front office apparently feels he has some untapped potential.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Twins have re-signed Pelfrey to a two-year, $11 million free agent contract. The deal also carries another $3.5 million in performance-based incentives.
The Yankees were said to have interest in Pelfrey last month and a few other clubs were linked, but it sure feels like the Twins bid against themselves in offering him a two-year pact. Pelfrey joins Ricky Nolasco, Kevin Correia, Phil Hughes and Vance Worley in an improved-but-still-shaky Minnesota rotation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)