Dec 14, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
Mike Pelfrey posted an ugly 5.19 ERA (78 ERA+) in 152 2/3 innings this past season for the Twins and owns a 4.48 career ERA (90 career ERA+) in 1,049 major league frames. But the Minnesota front office apparently feels he has some untapped potential.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Twins have re-signed Pelfrey to a two-year, $11 million free agent contract. The deal also carries another $3.5 million in performance-based incentives.
The Yankees were said to have interest in Pelfrey last month and a few other clubs were linked, but it sure feels like the Twins bid against themselves in offering him a two-year pact. Pelfrey joins Ricky Nolasco, Kevin Correia, Phil Hughes and Vance Worley in an improved-but-still-shaky Minnesota rotation.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)