Dec 15, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
You probably could have predicted this. Via the great Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News:
A GOOD FRIEND, Mark Fisher of Bloomington, Ind., sent my an e-mail and asked, “What would Pete Rose say about MLB wanting to eliminate collisions at home plate?”
That’s a great question, so I called Rose. As you might expect, he had more than a few syllables to say about the subject.
“First of all, if they can eliminate concussions, I’m all for that,” said Rose. “But I’ve thought and thought about it. The only concussions I can remember recently in baseball is Justin Morneau, and he got that sliding into second base. I know this is mostly about Buster Posey, but he got hurt when he got his ankle caught and twisted it.”
SO, YES, ROSE is against eliminating home plate collisions.
“I’m a traditionalist,” he said. “I thought the game has always been pretty good. About the only major changes they’ve made to the game since 1869 was when they lowered the mound afrter the 1968 season and the designated hitter. I mean, the game is going pretty good, isn’t it?
“What’s next? Are they going to eliminate the takeout slide on double plays at second base?” Rose asked.
Johnny Bench is all for the new rule, which was first announced at last week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida, and is only awaiting approval from the players’ union. That approval is expected to come soon.
Rose inflicted a major shoulder injury on catcher Ray Fosse when he plowed into him at home plate during the 1970 All-Star Game. “I had nothing against Fosse,” Rose told McCoy this weekend. “I had him over to my house the night before the game, but to this day he denies that. And he won’t do autographs shows with me and still says I deliberately tried to end his career. If that was my intent, I sure did a terrible job of it.”
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)