Dec 15, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
You probably could have predicted this. Via the great Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News:
A GOOD FRIEND, Mark Fisher of Bloomington, Ind., sent my an e-mail and asked, “What would Pete Rose say about MLB wanting to eliminate collisions at home plate?”
That’s a great question, so I called Rose. As you might expect, he had more than a few syllables to say about the subject.
“First of all, if they can eliminate concussions, I’m all for that,” said Rose. “But I’ve thought and thought about it. The only concussions I can remember recently in baseball is Justin Morneau, and he got that sliding into second base. I know this is mostly about Buster Posey, but he got hurt when he got his ankle caught and twisted it.”
SO, YES, ROSE is against eliminating home plate collisions.
“I’m a traditionalist,” he said. “I thought the game has always been pretty good. About the only major changes they’ve made to the game since 1869 was when they lowered the mound afrter the 1968 season and the designated hitter. I mean, the game is going pretty good, isn’t it?
“What’s next? Are they going to eliminate the takeout slide on double plays at second base?” Rose asked.
Johnny Bench is all for the new rule, which was first announced at last week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida, and is only awaiting approval from the players’ union. That approval is expected to come soon.
Rose inflicted a major shoulder injury on catcher Ray Fosse when he plowed into him at home plate during the 1970 All-Star Game. “I had nothing against Fosse,” Rose told McCoy this weekend. “I had him over to my house the night before the game, but to this day he denies that. And he won’t do autographs shows with me and still says I deliberately tried to end his career. If that was my intent, I sure did a terrible job of it.”
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 9
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 177
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (178)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)