Dec 16, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Reed saved 40 games this year at age 24, throwing 71 innings with a 3.79 ERA and 72/23 K/BB ratio while holding opponents to a .215 batting average. He’ll make the minimum salary in 2014 and won’t be eligible for free agency until after the 2017 season, so Arizona would be getting a long-term answer in the ninth-inning role.
Davidson was the Diamondbacks’ first-round pick in 2009 and made his big-league debut in August, holding his own in 31 games as a 22-year-old rookie. He was a consensus top-100 prospect heading into this year and hit .280 with 17 homers and an .831 OPS at Triple-A before reaching the majors.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)