Dec 16, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Chavez is in an interesting spot because his recent performance in part-time roles has certainly been good enough to justify a full-time role, but given his inability to stay healthy for most of his career perhaps playing every day at age 36 isn’t the best idea anyway.
This year Chavez hit .281 with nine homers and an .810 OPS in 254 plate appearances for Arizona and he was even better in similar playing time for the Yankees in 2012.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)