Dec 16, 2013, 6:49 AM EDT
For over 30 years a man named Bill Deane has been predicting the Hall of Fame vote. He has a nearly 80% success rate in getting the votes right, so that’s pretty good. Last year he successfully predicted that no one would get the requisite 75% from the BBWAA voters. The year before that he was correct in predicting that it would be the Barry Larkin show.
His prediction this year? Greg Maddux. No one else.
Hard to believe that neither Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine nor the close-but-not-quite-last-year pair of Craig Biggio and Jack Morris will make it, but I have learned to (a) pay close attention to Deane’s projections and; (b) to never be surprised at the lunacy of the BBWAA voting pool.
Go read Deane’s predictions and rationale over at Baseball:Past and Present. And bookmark it for a couple weeks from now when we hear how the voting actually goes down.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)