Dec 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Shane Victorino underwent surgery today to release a nerve from his right thumb, the Red Sox announced.
He’s expected to be healthy in time for spring training after dealing with thumb problems down the stretch this year.
Victorino is heading into his age-33 season with two years and $26 million remaining on his contract after hitting .294 with 15 homers and an .801 OPS in his first season in Boston.
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 7
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)